Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chrysler 383

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chrysler 383
    Posted: April-08-2004 at 10:35am
I took a 383 out of my San Juan 24.The guys at the parts store think it's a hot,collectable engine.I think it's frozen.Did CC put it in any ski boats?Enlighten me.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2004 at 9:25pm
the 73 brochure lists a few high horsepower chrysler motor as options.

locked up as in the starter won't turn?

pull the plugs and take the valve covers off. oil up the cylinders and spray the valve train with fogging oil everday for a week. spray up under the valve stem seal and down the pushrods also.

change the oil in it and prime the galleys. put a socket on the harmonic with the biggest breaker bar you can make. if you can get it to turn, leave the plugs out and turn the motor over 2 turns and oil everything again.

depending on how long it has been sitting and what was done to it before hand will determine the outcome. the motor could be toast or you could get lucky. i would rebuild it.

66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2004 at 10:26pm
Me Too! I love the sound of a big block Chrysler! I have an older complete manual for 318, 383, 440, and 413 c.i.d. Will try to post as soon as I can.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2004 at 10:31pm
Sorry, I was wrong. It is for models: M-318A, M-318B, M-318C, M-383, and M-413.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2004 at 10:46pm
With pleasure.
Answer number one. A 383 was a very fine motor no doubt, but not a really hot collectable in my opinion as this was a low compression marine version with an advertised rating of somewhere between 260-280 HP. Chrysler made some really hot 335 HP versions which went into a number of quick cars, but this is still a neater engine than say a 350, 351, 360, etc., esp in an older craft. So don't pitch it, but don't anticipate getting a lot of money for it. Keep this in mind however, that if you do rebuild it, you can easily, with little additional expense, put it back together with the 335+ HP spec'ns, and I guarantee it'll out pull any new FI small block engine. I don't want to hear about the new PCM 6.0. I hear it's a horse.

Other similar overstated examples are 427 Ford marine engines (and I'm a Ford guy) which many uneducated or deceitful sellers place INCREDIBLY high price tags on, calling them Cobra engines and the like. While there were a limited number of very hot ones coming out from Holman Moody and Interecptor, etc., the overwhelming vast majority, and there were literally tons of them, were garden variety, low rpm 300 HP units used to power large Chris Craft yachts and a very few smaller runabouts. The only value is the block as the heads were small valve anchors. The average 426 non-hemi Chryslers were a similar scenario. They were both still great and bulletproof engines, but not hi-po racers by any means. But I still like the cubic inch numbers, as they do sound impressive, and I love them, it just bothers me when the $$$ get so over-inflated.

Answer number two: I've seen a 383 in a Barracuda. Anyone else? Someone on this Site has a boat just beckoning for this 383 engine. And it's akin to the whole classic boat thing. You pull a 2004 Nautique (total respect) up to the dock and the dock boy gawks and fantasizes a bit. You gurgle a nice Barracuda up to the dock and you catch the whole marina's ear and eye. But total satisfaction only occurs when you pop the engine box (only to safely air the fumes of course), and everyone catches a glimpse (and they do look) of a chromed-out big block 383 as opposed to some typical run of the mill engine. That's the real value of this power plant to the person that shares this perspective, and to me, it's not all about horsepower. It totally complements the boat. I've changed my own mind, the 383 is officially hot.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 1:28am
Aah yes Mr. P. It is not un-polite to burp at the dock, as a matter of fact, I think it is proper, or "Correct", etiquette. Even though I have a blower, I still do it the period "Correct" way, and lift up my heavy, wooden, engine cover. I love to be safe and air out my poor man's hemi.
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2004 at 12:50am
Thanks for the insights. I've tried to turn it with a good size breaker.I've snapped off a couple of plugs but only the tops (unlike my Blazer) It doesn't budge at all.Since I have two CCs in pieces here, my efforts are mostly on the one that's coming back together. It's got the 318 that runs.
I guess I have bad luck. I made a form out of 4X4s with "200lb" casters under it so I could roll the 318 around the garage but the 200# must have been for four not each .Ever seen solid wheels go flat?Sad sight.
The 383 is outside and covered .I'm not likely to rebuild it myself. So when it comes to it I'll have to decide wether to have it rebuilt or put in a 351. Or maybe a 7.3 deisel. As much as I like the burble and burp, I like the rumble even better and want something reliable that keeps on rumbling all day long.
Now that I know that some 383's had more hp than others, I understand.
Thanks, Reid
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic