Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DKSty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKSty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer size
    Posted: January-03-2006 at 4:20pm
I am replacing the stringers in my 80 SN. I have found Douglas fir but only in 2x8. Is this wide enough or does anyone have any suggestion as to the ideal size to cut the stringers.
80 Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2006 at 7:56am
I am not sure, but I think the stringers are more than 1.5" thick. I have heard that people simply double up 2x lumber. This practice should be fine in theory so long as you use plenty of mechanical fasteners to laminate the two together. I also would suggest you epoxy the two pieces together as well. Use a thin epoxy mixture initially (to soak into the grain) followed by a thicker epoxy (gap filling) before joining the pieces. Then use stainless screws in an altenating pattern to hold the pieces together as the epoxy cures. You can remove some of the fasteners if they get in the way of your final shape.

Now if the overall thickness needs to be less than 3" then you can have the assembly planned down to proper thickness after the epoxy has cured and the screws removed. Install new shorter screws after it is planned down. At this stage, I would epoxy (thin) the screws in place to seal against water instrusion into the grain of the wood via the screw holes.

Finally, before installing the stringers, I would thouroughly coat the entire stringer (after cut to final shape) with thin epoxy to seal the wood against water instrusion. Pay particular attention to end grain as it will soak up lots of epoxy. Now, before you glass the new stringer in place, be sure to wipe in down thourougly with acetone and then use a course paper and sand the entire stringer to give the epoxy coating tooth so the epoxy resin will stick to the stringer when you glass it in place.

Have you noticed I never used the word Polyester? Only use epoxy resins when making repairs...it will make the strongest possible repair and is easiest to mix correctly for proper curing. Epoxy resins can be thinned with Acetone up to 20% by volume. Sawdust, Cabasil, talc and other fine powders can be used to thicken epoxy resins.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2006 at 8:51pm
I replaced my stringers this past summer and they were made of 12' 2x8 or 10 (can't remember exactly.) I cut through the glass covering the stringers close to the hull and popped them out. Then I cut new stringers using the old ones as a guide and glued them into the channels that were left from the old stringers, then glassed over them. This was a 78 CC American Skier, so I don't know if other models were built differently, but the stringers were 1.5" lumber.
DKSty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKSty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2006 at 7:20am
Thanks, I have found 2x10 fir here in Orlando. It may be a little large but it gives me room for error and the bottom of the old stringers are a great template.I will be using epoxy (West System)
resin for the project. Now it's back to the grind(er).
80 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic