NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water pump leaks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water pump leaks
    Posted: April-10-2004 at 12:05am
78 w/freshly built 351W, I cannot get the water circulation pump to stop leaking. It dribbles between the timing cover and the gasket (there is a weep hole there) my circulation pump does not have the extra 2 bolt holes that go in the middle of the 2 water ports. I have tried re-sealing this going on my 4th time. I don't understand what is goin on. I have tried adding rtv the last couple of times....

now after tonight my shaft seal for my raw water pump started dribbling.
I have spent a lot of time and money on this boat and am running out of patience
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2004 at 5:45pm
the water pump has a stainless backing plate positioned with the two bolts on the bottom from the back side.(weep area) use hylomar between the stainless and the water pump. it will seal pitted cast parts.
(i love the stuff.)

raw water pump seals are available individualy, but it should be double sealed. try moving the seal deeper into the bore of the housing. it might leak less after the stat opens.

i blew an oil line to the cooler on my maiden voyage while running hard. i'm glad i have a good ear, because another 10 seconds it would have all been over but the crying. cleaning 7 quarts out of the freshly cleaned bilge sucked, but you have to love it. it's a boat.

danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2004 at 12:51am
got the leak fixed - I modified the plate between the pump and the timing cover. there are bolt holes that are located just to the inside of the water jacket openings that I plugged off using jb stick weld. My old water pump does not use these bolt holes. The new pumps do. Thanks for the help tryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic