NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68-71 Dash Panel Cluster

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68-71 Dash Panel Cluster
    Posted: April-01-2013 at 8:20pm
Anyone looking for this panel for their boat? Just need to know how many to maybe make up. I'm making 2 as of now. Can just get the top panel cut and let you put on top of your old panel.
Still debating on what to use as the backer board for this project. It was MDF board originally.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 8:26pm
Marty, will your sign guy be keeping the template on file? I'd like to try the fiberglass wood veil stuff that we discussed and then have him engrave it. I assume he can work with something a bit thicker (~1/4")?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 9:42pm
Marty,
They look pretty close to the original. I would suggest a backer of some type since the originals were thicker. I also remember them being a duller finish as well as having some texture to simulate some wood grain.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2013 at 10:14pm
Nice work Marty!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Still debating on what to use as the backer board for this project. It was MDF board originally.

Pete. there you go again-- Not reading the whole post!
I guess you're still couped up in all that SNOW.

Gonna try and use some actual laminate flooring this weekend and cut the backer board. Gotta go borrow some tools to get this project going.

The wife says- Why don't you just go get what you need so you'll have it and won't have to borrow someone else's tools.

I guess that's a hint that I can go purchase some new tools on her dime- since I ain't got no money

66 Skylark
93 SN
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 6:16pm
Marty, is it me or is the new panel not make to the same size as the old? Looks like those holes are going to be off?

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Marty, is it me or is the new panel not make to the same size as the old? Looks like those holes are going to be off?

Moj'

Dave, What looks off to you? Pictures probably just playing on you. The OEM panel is bowed. Other than that- I tried to cut 4 backer boards out of MDF this week- going off the OEM Panel. Well that was a mistake.   The " New " panel might have a variance or so. Each backer board might have to be cut with each panel I get etched. Since I'm not a machine- I might be off 1/16 or so here and there. This really won't matter in the end. When it's all together- I then trim the edges and cut the bevel- so it's all straight then. It really doesn't matter if any of the holes are off since there is a big rectangular hole in the dash where the panel ( cluster ) goes. It's just the 4 screws to my understanding that holds the cluster to the dash.

So - it might be the pics playing on you.
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2013 at 3:29pm
Update- A BIG Thank-You goes to Allen Wilson ( HatterBee ) for his help in getting the backer boards cut this weekend. I was cutting them FreeHand and had 4 cut. Upon dry-fitting them I only had 1 salvageable :(. Allen got me fixed up on his tablesaw and then we had a little cookout. We had originally gotten together to hear his motor run on his homemade engine cradle stand. Had a little knock to it. We think it might be in the tranny. Sounds like a bearing noise. He's gonna take the tranny loose and listen then. I think he took a video and might post it up.
But here's a few pics of the process.

66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2020 at 5:26pm
BUMP..........
66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic