Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Southwind 20 trailer questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
xemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Southwind 20 trailer questions
    Posted: January-26-2006 at 4:13pm
I am trying to purchase a trailer for my '74 Southwind 20. I would like toknow the the degree of "V" for the hull. I believe it either 16 or 18 degrees. Also what is the weight of the boat so i can get the right trailer for it. Thank you.
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2006 at 7:44pm
Not sure, but for comparison, this one is 24 degrees LOL!   Twin V-drive Holman-Moody 302s too!
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 4:58pm
When I weighted mine it was 4000 with the trailer. It is a steel galvanized one and it is heavy. But with age and things being added the weight of the boat can go up quite a bit. The documentation on Correct Craft Diaries under reference states 2450 for a closed bow 1975.

In any case I would suggest a dual axel or a single good for 5000 lb.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 5:50pm
I would suggest a 3000-3500 lb trailer with around 22-24 dead rise the 16-18 is more along the lines of a ski nautique model and the southwinds are a deep-v design.

If you load a trailer with a lite load it's going to bounce all over the place because the springs are not loaded. So if you have a 5000 lb rated springs and only carry a 2500 lb load it will ride like crap and bounce every where and increase the ware and tare on the boat's hull as it bounces off the bunks going down the road.
xemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:36am
I found out it is actually a twenty degree deadrise and the dry weight is 2450lbs. I had a trailer made, single axle with a 4000lb capacity with inboard package. It trailers great! Thanks for your feedback. The boat is fantastic and I get many compliments on it on Lake Norman in NC. Good Boating to you!
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:05am
Xemo, glad to hear that everything is answered. I am up here in the Raleigh area and usually put my Southwind 20 on Jordan lake or Falls lake. If I ever get down to lake Norman I hope you are on the lake. I'd like to see the boat.

BC, I agree with you on the bouncing potential if the trailer does not weigh enough. But I would strongly suggest that the boat owner weighs both the boat and the trailer. My trailer has a 3500 pound axel and it way under size. The tires are good for 4000 each, but they are worn on the inside due to the flexing of the axel during travel. I am about to replace the axel with one with a 4500 to 5000 rating. I'll let you know how it goes.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:28am
axil rating and spring ratings are two different things and the axil rating will not effect the ride unless it is underize and then you have the tire waer issue but if the axil is rated for 10,000 lbs and is used with 1750 lb springs then your not going to be bouncing down the road with a 2500 lb load but if you use 5000 lb springs with a 2500 lb load then your bouncing everywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic