NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hardened valves??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hardened valves??
    Posted: January-28-2006 at 11:57pm
Hi,

Just a question on what is the "done thing" in the USA in regards to valves and vale seats.

My '76 had a replacement engine installed by the PO in 2003 and I wondered whether or not it would be likley that hardened valves and valve seats would have been in use.

He wasn't sure if it was the case or not and I forgot to ask what fuel he normally used.

In Australia it's not uncommon for inboard boats (despite unlead being around since '86 to have not had this done (saves the engine builder about $30-$50) so I've been using "valve saver" in the tank.

Necessary or am I wasting my money, Do you guys use this stuff??? I thought better safe than sorry but it tends to make the engine run a little smokey.

Thanks

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 7:08am
save your money
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 10:15am
79; I have been using that stuff in the '80 due to people scaring me as to valve wear. I do not know much about that so , could you expand on your statement a little. I get it by your "save your money" comment that you don't believe in it. Thanks

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

79; I have been using that stuff in the '80 due to people scaring me as to valve wear. I do not know much about that so , could you expand on your statement a little. I get it by your "save your money" comment that you don't believe in it. Thanks

john

No, as insurance as I don't really know if it has hardened valves I HAVE been using it.

I don't know if USA made gas has any additives either we used to have Lead Replacement Petrol which was premium uleaded with additive to prevent valve recession but this is no longer available.

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 7:25pm
I have mixed some Marvel Mystery Oil with every tank in the 74 M17 and so far I have put over 600 hard hours on her using 93 octane unleaded. It now has 1100 hrs on the original engine. So far so good. Maybe I just got lucky!
Jbear, dont be dumpin the cold ones in the tank thinkin it will help the valves. lol
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:02pm
Jeff; Only place the cold ones go is straight into jbears tummy! But I always got a couple to share, got some with your name on 'em.

john

PS. How much MMo in a tank full? Gotta try that.
"Loud pipes save lives"

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:39am
Been using Marvel Mystery oil for years. My Dad and I rebuilt engines with it 30 years ago and ran it in the tank quite often. I still use MMO in all my engines, even the newer fuel injected ones. Prior to start-up after a long set-up we squirt it into each spark plug hole....even though you prime the oil galleries with an electric drill, the pistons hvae nothing on start-up, thus the MMO. You'll see the stuff sold in 5 gallon cans for Industrial use. It's very Old School.

Drip it on the sidewalk and it will evaporate without a stain.

Only a few ounces per tank.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 11:06am
I had this discussion with my Dad when I first got my boat and read the leaded only gas use and he said basicly in the 70's-80's unleaded gas was formulated differently than it is today and you don't have the issue. also since his motor was rebuilt it should had the valve seat replaced when the heads where done. If you had had your heads done or replaced them then you should have an issue either. I'm not one of those guys that give test book answers so this is the best it gets.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:42pm
79; Most of us guys on here don't care if you give "test" book answers or "text" book answers. We enjoy 'em all.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Jeff; Only place the cold ones go is straight into jbears tummy! But I always got a couple to share, got some with your name on 'em.

john

PS. How much MMo in a tank full? Gotta try that.

Jbear, are you sure your valves are not softening??? Good Cold ones are gonna be cheaper to burn in the boat than gasoline!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 8:38pm
Jeff; I'm 55 now. Almost everything is either softening or dropping.

But how can I tell if my valves are gettin' soft?

The cost of good cold ones is rising also, but as always, if it is for the boat, cost is no object!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 10:35am
Look at Skidim, 351 ford high output (h.o.) cylinder head

indicated by 3 raised ribs on the end of the head.
2 raised ribs indicates a standard 351, 250HP with hardened exhaust seats.
A flat head, with no raised ribs, indicates a older style without hardened seats, requiring Valve Tech or a lead subst*tute.
Flat Head and 2-rib heads are compatible, just make sure both take 14mm plugs.
Also casting letters GT

jos
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic