Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yet Another Electrical Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet Another Electrical Problem
    Posted: January-30-2006 at 11:44am
I need some help troubleshooting. I have an intermitent problem and it's driving me nuts. Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens and I mean nothing. The gauges don't work, the blower doesn't work, the bildge pump doesn't work and of course the engine won't crank. If I disconnect the negative battery cable (haven't tried the positive side) for a few seconds then reattach, everything works again.
I replaced the solenoid a while back as well as the key switch (key switch was automotive type, solenoid was marine grade).
Any thoughts? Altenator going out? Voltage regulator? 50 Amp breaker getting crusty? Something not wired correctly?
It's an '84 SN with 351 Commander. Thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 12:17pm
Is the blower and bildge pump wired so they can be turned on with the ignition off?
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 12:22pm
check the connector on the wiring harness towards the back of the motor. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and replaced about everthing trying to track it down and it really makes you scatch your head and think. I didn't get it fixed until I replaced alt and wiring harness. Turn the key on and mess around with the connector and see if you get power to the blower or just watch the tach and see if it goes to zero.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 8:07pm
TimD: No, the blower and bildge are wired to work with toggle switches regardless if the key is on or off.
'79: Thanks, I haven't checked the wiring harness. I'll give that a shot.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:40pm
If it does it again, dont touch anything and take a test light and start from the battery and follow it through. Its obviously a main feed problem on either the hot or ground side.
Best of luck cause intermittents are a pain to get them to fail and troubleshoot.

Jeff...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 7:20pm
It could be that you don't have enough voltage in the system to fire the relay. I'd suspect a bad ground/corroded connection somewhere in the chain. Low battery, corroded clamps, bad ground connection at the block, etc etc. The battery may have enough amperage to acutate the starter but not enough voltage to trip the relay.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 10:44pm
Sounds like a ground problem to me. I would check the ground of the starter relay.If it's really corroded (sp?) you can run a seperate wire to a known good ground. I would remove it polish the connection between it and the mount. It could also be where the ground cable attaches to the engine. Clean that also. Finally as a long shot remove and clean all of the wires going to the coil. I know it sounds wierd but sometimes a corroded wire there causes all kinds of faults. Good luck
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 8:18pm
I've seen that same thing and the solnoid was hanging. New parts can be defective too. What was happening was that when the key was turned to start the engine all power to accessories is shut off to send max cranking amps to the starter. It was hanging up and not turing everything back on when the key was released. Don't know if that is your problem just sharing what happend to me with same problem.
Gregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:09pm
jimbo
I just posted asking if someone with a commander 351 could help me out with a silinoid wiring question. I have a new silinoid and original wiring but cant seem to find a wiring diagram showing what wires (color) go where on the silinoid. I bought the boat without a siliniod so I have no ref. point. Wonder if you could let me know what yours looks like? I have an 84 SN. Thanx.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic