Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust manifold change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust manifold change
    Posted: February-09-2006 at 12:08am
I am replacing my old commander manifolds with new PCMs. Looks pretty simple. Any suggestions-Hints or Dos and Donts? I just received the new manifolds,risers,and gasket kit. I was feeling good about the project until I read that small mistakes can cause major damage. I squirted liquid wrench on the old stuff a few weeks age and am just waiting for some dry warm day. Any suggestions and or comments would be greatly appreciated. This is my first boat so dont be shy. Its a 1984 SN w/ford 351
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 8:41am
Gregory; What are ya gonna do with your old Commanders? What kind of shape are they in? Why the change if you don't mind me asking. I have been thinking of going the other way; from PCM to the Commanders.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 9:31am
John I thought this was the guy you where getting them from?? If you don't want them then I would like to buy them from Gregory

Do's and dont's

liquid wrench, liquid wrench, liquid wrench or any penitrating oil for that matter spray around the head and in between the head and manifold where the gasket is. Make sure that you use a tight fitting 6 point socket, a twelve point will just round off the head so don't use it, go buy one if you have to. If it is a socket head cap screw get a socket style hex wrench and use a 3/8 drive ratchet. Go slow and steady with the mussle, don't beat on the ratchet with a hammer, you'll risk breaking it if you do. Remove the hose clamps and run a screwdriver around the exhaust hose to break the seal before loosening any bolt on the manifold. Oh For got you don't have to worry about that. Leave the two end bolts (front/back) for last the front one is the easist to get to so do it last. You may have to work it back and forth a little to get freed up (loosen/tighten) if it is rusted and keep spraying it with liquid wrench as you go if it's tight backing it out.

When installing start the front bolt a couple of turns and then do the back bolt. pull back on the manifold to creat a small gap between the head and it, then you can slide the gasket in between and put in the rest of the bolts. On the gasket for the riser the blocked off part goes to the back on both sides. The four bolts attaching the riser are the hardist and take the longest, space issue and a box end wrench works good. You can use studs on the two end bolts as well to help hold the manifold in place maybe a little easier dong it that way.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 9:50am
Chris: You are right. I have been waiting for him to get back to me by e-mail. I had to look back to previous posts to confirm, but it is him. So maybe he'll answer my post. Did you get the message I sent about the price on the elbows? $215 per pair. That's why greg's were stolen I guess. BTW I sent ya an e-mail this morn re your post here. Did not want to answer here per your request. Check it out. Thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 9:53am
got everything I'll give you a call next friday and we'll get the girls out for a while
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 10:11am
you got it; next friday; feb 17. Patti is off fridays and I'm home from the bus by 5:30. I'll make sure we don't have anything. Gotta meet 79!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 11:33pm
Thank You 79Natique. Good Info. jbear.I did reply to your post Via e-main. You didnt get it? They are still in the boat nice and dry,unlike everything on the outside. As soon as things warm up I am going to give the change over a try. I thought I saved a reply from you but I dont see one now. Yea..If you want them Ill take care of it. Im sure I am going to have questions about this fixer upper boat and your input is worth more than cash. They look pretty good but thats only on the outside.I dont know anything else except the boat was running 2 years ago. Yes the elbos were stolen as well as the fuel tank and the front passenger seat.NOTHING else..Think it was a boat owner???
Also..79Natique is there a torque spec for the bolts? Thanx for the help. I do appreciate it. jbear..Ill go back to the old post and resend my e-mail. Let me know if you do/dont get it. Greg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 6:14am
It's a feel thing for me I never use a torq wrench unless it's the flywheel, bearing cap bolts or the heads. Good and tight no need to strong arm it or use a pipe. Just be even with the torq start in the middle and work your way to the ends. Finger tight accross the board then slowly torq side to side of each port a little at a time. If you torq down one side side alot more before the otherside you can worp it and have an exhaust leak so just keep it even from side to side on each port. You can check the reference section and there is a pcm manual there that will have the torq spec for you. And double check which side the gasket should face I never remember, on some only one side is metal and should face towrads the head I think. If you got the bolt kit their may be some instructions and it may have the torq spec and gasket directions as well. Worse comes to worse talk to richard or vince at skidim and they can walk you through it over the phone and they are a great source for parts and help for everthing mechanical and don't forget to mention this site it worth 10% off.
Gregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 1:27am
Thanx 79Natique. I did a little more liquid wrench today. 3rd time now. Hope they come out easy. Thank you again for the help.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:43am
Greg; Was cool to talk to ya last weekend. Hope you had a good time at Tahoe. Stay in touch and be gentle on removing those Commanders. E-mail me when you get 'em out. Thanks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gregory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2006 at 1:12am
Will do JBear. Had a great time .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic