NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

60’s correctcraft solid model

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60’s correctcraft solid model
    Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:36am
Yeah I realize this is a stretch but has anyone gone to the bother of putting together a solid model of thier 60's era CC. I am fairly sure I am going to do this so I can re-layout the interior with all the new stereo components, hidden ballast locations, seating upgrades, new gauges, etc. I have a lot of stuff to jam in this little boat and I want to make most of my mistakes in Pro E instead of with fiberglass/carbon and foam. Before I get out the various measuring devices and spend the hours to measure/model the boat I thought I might at least ask around here if anyone had done this with a similar boat that I could use as a starting point. If anyone has anything (I can pretty much read any format file) I would be very appreciative.
Thanks,
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:45am
Good question Joe. I would also be interested if anyone has anything for a '70s 17'9" CC they would like to share.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 8:50am
What all are you looking to do? The whole floor and stringer system, I would think that every boat would be a little different due to the manufacturing methods used and it's gong to be almost impossible to figure out the free-form surface needed for the hull by measuring alone, unless you have laser system to scan it your not going to get it close enough to use as a pattern to build from.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 9:26am
Mostly at this point I am looking to lay out a completely new interior I need to therefore model the deck the floor, stringer location, etc. The actual hull I will only model where it interacts with the stringer, engine, etc, the rest would be close enough for reference. I have not ruled out the option of modeling the entire exterior assigning the whole thing material properties and dumping it in virtual water to see how it sits, but I don't think I will go that far. I have never gone backwards to model a boat before but I have gone forwards to design a few I am confident that with good reference planes, a level, a long travel dial indicator, and a cute girl with a notebook and pencil I could get more than enough information to create a useable model. I am not looking to use the model to cut out new stringers or anything of the like (I am hoping to get rid of the wood all together and go with thicker fiberglass foam cored). But, I guess my main reason for the solid model is to jam everything in and still try to retain some foot space and reasonable ergonomics as well as have it look good.
-Joe.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 10:07am
what version of pro/E do you use?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 12:54pm
    I have at home a full version of ProE 2001 with every add in module there is, its even legal. Its left over from about three years ago when I was working in a job in an all PTC company, I was on the phone with the project managers at PTC so often complaining about bugs and limitations that they gave me a job testing new releases for problems in the advanced top down assembly modules, I got 25 dollars a bug plus the full license to the latest version of the program. After that I moved to a company that paid me a lot more money and used Unigraphics so I got rid of the sidejobs, the current company uses Solidworks. I have a copy of both Unigraphics and Solidworks at home as well, but they are both technically for learning purposes only so I shy away from using them for anything where I might hand off a drawing to someone and have something made. But they are nice to have to open and convert files. Wish I had stuck it out with PTC long enough to pick up a legal version of Wildfire (I have the disks for it but they are sketchy in origin and I have never installed them), then I would at least be current.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 1:09pm
I used the 2000 version for awhile never really liked it that much, always had to create a sketch to add anything other than text and the reference axis and planes it automaticlly puts in realy clutters the view. Is your UG a NX version or the older v13 or v14. I've been on a CAD system for years and if you layed-out a grid system to measure from on the floor of the boat, square to the transom it it shouldn't be that hard to get it into a 3-D model to use to ruff in what you are going to do.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 7:36pm
I only ever used Unigraphics NX, never cared for it particularily, didn't have the capabilites of ProE and wasnt as easy to use as SolidWorks. I started with ProE so I practically can't live without starting everything as a sketch and having planes and and axis everywhere. ProE worked good for programming large configurable assemblies, but its hugely expensive and not as easy to use as autodesk or solidworks, most companies that buy it would be better off with a mid range cad system...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 6:05am
UG takes a little learning before it's easy to use but it's expensive and alot of the large compenies use it or caitia which I've heard is even harder to learn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic