Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time nautique owner

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time nautique owner
    Posted: July-03-2013 at 4:15pm
Hello gents,
New guy here to the site. I have a few questions on an 89 nautique 2001
I currently own a 77 hallett jet boat that I fully restored and this summer rode on a friends 2001 hull and loved it.
I just put my hallett for sale and found an 89 correct craft nautique for $4000
It's in a different state so I can't see it in person till I get there but have a few questions.
The owner says its never been in salt water but I can't be sure of that. If it has are there any signs besides the usual things to look out for? I know to look at the stringers and engine bolts to see if it's soggy etc. it has all new interior and a few other new things.
One thing I did notice is that most 89's have a 2 piece front glass this one has 1 piece Is there a certain ammount of them that had 1 piece? I know the earlier models had 1 piece but this clearly has an 89 dash interior and the later model dash. I was a little confused with this. The gel coat looks good the trailer is a little less pretty but says it is structurally sound. And hints tips or things I should look out for? Is 4000 worth driving out of state to look if it turns out bad or good?
Thanks for your help
Rick
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 5:13pm
Dash was the same '88-89. '87-88 had the split windshield, '89 was one-piece. Remember that the boat is nearly 25 years old... $4k could be a steal if it is a well preserved, nice running example- or it could be no bargain at all if its in rough shape. Pictures help.
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 5:58pm
Working on loading pictures I might have to wait till I get home my phone is having a hard time loading the photos. From what I can tell in the photos it looks pretty clean hull and stripe are not discolored and still shine. The interior and carpet are new. Haven't seen the rudder and prop yet though he says everything is in great shape.
Thanks for the info on the windshield I was confused on it being one piece like the earlier hulls
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 8:38pm
It sounds like a good deal but would need to see pictures.

The 89 2001's are a great boat.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 9:17pm
Richard, how many hours on the boat? Is it the original engine or repowered? There are many things to look at no matter what the year but to really know if its worth 4000 you have to test drive to see what she's like. See how it runs. See if it vibrates or not. How does it run when cold/hot. Does it take in water. Check everything you can. Learn all you can from this site. Gauges work ?Trailer bearings good to get it home? Bones.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 10:12pm
Rich,oh by the way... Have some fun forgot to mention that. 89 is the first year for a muffle red exhaust and normal rotation motor. 89 was also a new/ better fiberglass. Won't absorb water like past years. I like my 89 but with all boats ther is maintenance . Look at it hard brother. Good luck. Bones.
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 10:36pm
Thanks fellas unfortunately there is no water near by to put it in
And I have photos of it but can't figure out how to put them on the site with my iPhone.
May be a stupid question but what is the red exhaust you speak of? The boat is south of la in California I'm driving from Tucson az. It has 320 hours on it and is said to be original hours he is the second owner. I can text what photos I have to someone or email them to post on here if someone would like to help? If not no big deal. I'm very mechanically inclined so for the most part I know what I'm looking for just new to dd boats my jet has been a great boat for the past 6 years just time for a change.
Again thanks in advance
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 10:51pm
Sorry.... Mufflered exhaust not red exhaust. Dam spell check. Email tnllange@q.com. Bones.
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:03pm
Spell check again on your email lol is it qmail.com? @q.com no work lol
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:05pm
q.com
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:10pm
Totally my fault bones sorry you should have mail with photos
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:13pm
320 hour boat for $4K would be a great deal, but it is rare for a 24 year old boat to have such low hours. Ask him if the engine was replaced & the hours are the engine hours.    If it is truly 320 boat hours & been maintained well, it's a good deal.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:18pm
I thought the same thing on the hours but my hallett is a 77 and just turned 550 hours but I know it's a totally different style boat normally nautiques are running more due to a lot more skiing going on and idle time.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:22pm
Is the hr meter broke? My boat has 620 on it though. Maybe they bought it and never used it much. Or had a lot of crappy years like this year.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:24pm
It has the Venray muffler introduced as part of the "Power Plus" upgrade in 89 that includes the 1.23 trans that reverses the engine rotation in the unit. This allows for the use of normal auto rotation motors (LH) but still maintain a RH rotation prop.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:39pm
Wow that exhaust sp thing really looks like its very interesting and makes a big difference I was just getting ready to ask if it was better to remove the muffler but looks like its smarter to keep it.
Thanks a lot on that info you guys are very helpful! I was on a site for jet boats and such and no one really chimed in on anything in about a year
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 11:58pm
4k sounds a little fishy for a low time boat in good condition. Maybe it's true and the owner just doesn't know the market for them.

I took a chance and bought my boat without running it first and it cause me a lot of stress. I got lucky and everything turned out fine but there are plenty of stories here where things didn't work out very well.

Talk to the owner and see how mechanical he/she is. They should be able to start it for you with the hose/bucket method. It would be better than nothing.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 12:16am
If he won't even put a hose to it I'm not even gonna think about it. I'm guessing it will probably need an impeller cause that's just a normal thing correct? As for the trans is there a way to put it in gear on the trailer without hurting anything? Need to spray wd-40 on any parts or water to keep from hurting anything just so I know it goes in gear
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 12:18am
I read a little bit on the hose bucket method bucket of water with hose leading to a pick up on the bottom of the boat?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 12:38am
I just remove the 1" intake hose from the thru hull and connect it to a bucket that I put a fitting and a length of hose on. You could get one of these, easy to hook up and an owner should not have any reason to worry about you disconnecting anything on their boat. Lubricate the cutlass bearing,thats the one in the strut,before putting it in gear,water is fine for a short spin-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 3:07am
Right on thanks Gary. That was the bearing I was worried about I didn't know the proper name for it. You have all been very helpful I'm about 2.5 hours away from it now. When I see it in person I will keep the board updated as I know more. Again thanks to everyone for all the info I have so many ideas and things I want to do with this boat so u hope it turns up worthy of my time. One last question for the moment if anyone is reading. Is it worth using a straight edge on the drive shaft from hull to strut and strut to prop? Not sure if those are easily bent and or common to do so? Just skimming through things on the Internet people mention here and there that they are getting bad vibrations but never mention what's causing them I thought maybe this is why?
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 5:38am
The vibration task is one of the most important reasons for running it. I don't think a straight edge will be accurate enough for the small amount of shaft that you can see. If there's enough bend in that little bit to see with the edge, run for the tree line.

You really need a dial indicator to check for shaft tolerance. Maybe there's a harbor tool near the boat? I think they have a cheep one for $15.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 11:39am
If it's bent you'll know.
Watch the shaft log for wobble, have the owner put it in gear and watch the prop for end shaft wobble.
But a bent isn't a deal killer if the rest of the boat is in good shape.
Strknit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strknit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 5:23pm
Well I'm still not an owner of a cc yet. On the surface the boat looked great but I noticed some coloring on the trans that looked like it had water sitting on it about half way up. So I still hooked up water and ran it checking all fluids before of course and oil filter and oil looked brand new so I let it run about 20 minutes pulled the dipstick and it was white. So either blown head gaskets or worse. At that point I was just pissed. The trailer was falling apart while I was standing on it I doubt that it would have even made it out of the state. Needless to say I offered him $1000 for it and was already pissed. So at this point I'm just going to try and sell my jet boat first then I will have a lot more $ towards a nice cc and hopefully closer lol
Thank you to everyone who helped with my questions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic