Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on 1998 Natique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cjmesk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjmesk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on 1998 Natique
    Posted: February-26-2006 at 12:09pm
I am looking at buying a 1998 ski Natique Closed Bow. It was a rental boat and has 2000 plus hours but the price is less than 9 k.

It has all the service records and appears to be in great shape for a rental. Obvios dings and such but it was out of the water and underneath it looks great. Compression is still good on the motor too.

I have never owned a Natique before I have an 1987 Malibu Skier that now has dry rot so its time to move up.

Should I be concerned about the hours? Based on my research I could replace the engine in a year or two and still have a boat with good value.
Is the boat all glass? I don't want dry rot issues down the road.

Is there any good websites to find out about the 1998 for skiing? Good wake ect...

I have heard nothing but great things about Natique. Any experience with owning one would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated.

Chris

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2006 at 4:18pm
It's all glass, and that year hull (97-01) has one of the best wakes of any ski boat ever made. Some say even better than the current nautiques. The hours are very high. If the compression is still good, you may get a few seasons more before a rebuild. I've heard GT40's can go for a long time. Sounds like a decent deal- that's about half what you'd pay if the boat had lower hours (say, 500 ish). A new GT40 is around 7 grand- so even if you put a BRAND NEW engine in there, you're still in decent shape. A rebuild will be even less than that (2000.00?).
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2006 at 6:54pm
cj; I've had 6 C/C's and my '98 was by FAR the best. As M3Fan said, no wood in these boats. As to the wake, ride, room, performance, fuel consumption, any way I could rate it, it was the best.

2000 hrs is a scary number. You gotta be lookin' at a rebuild or replacement soon. But if you have legit records maybe it was well taken care of. For the asking price of "under 9K" I gotta feel it is a good deal.

Remember, only my .02 worth.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 11:49am
I agree...2000 hours on a rental boat is 2000 of the hardest hours possible. You just know the renters ran the engine at full throttle for extended periods of time.

But to me, a rebuild is no big deal and not a deal killer usually.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 12:14pm
Sounds like a lot of hours to me as well but last time I rented a boat it was governed back quite a bit. Probably to protect the boat and to protect a renter from getting over their head on an unfamiliar boat. I would ask and see if it was governed back.

cjmesk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjmesk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 1:20pm
WOW great feedback thanks.
They have 2 1998s
2-1999s

I will get to drive all 4 and see all the service records.

Great question on the governer. I will be asking for sure.

I was concerned about the hours too, but if I can do a rebuild for 2 to 7 k then I think its worth it.

Sounds like the rebuild will be the way to go.

I hope it works out I will post my results.

Once again glad to hear everyone loves thier Natiques!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 1:57pm
Not a big deal (at least to me), but do not forget the "U" in Nautique.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 3:09pm
I had a 98 and I loved that boat. One of my favorite ski wakes, and real treat to drive. The only significant knock I could put on the boat is that it is a mediocre wakeboard boat at best. But hey, that's not what it was designed for.

One thing that changed from 98 to 99 was the dash. In 98 it was black, in 99 it was white. Not a big deal, but if you live in a hot weather climate as I do, that black gets darn hot in 100+ temperatures.

On hours, my $.02 for a well cared-for, well-maintained engine, I'd expect to get 2500-2800 hours. That's a lot of years of enjoyment if you are at 2000 now. Of course, a rental boat is not the model for a well cared for engine.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 4:04pm
BKH; I love that white dash idea also. I think I am gonna paint the dash on the '80. You know how tough it is in these warm weather areas!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2006 at 4:13pm
Cj- where are you located? These seem like a good deal if all goes well...have a family on our lake that is looking to go inboard and i'm pushing them to correct craft! Plus i'd get to ski them too! Let me know if you have some info.
mars
cjmesk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjmesk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2006 at 7:40am
I live in California. Sacramento area.

The place I am looking has 8 Ski boats for sale.

Email me and I will give you more info.
cjmesk at yahoo dot com.

Chris
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2006 at 9:29am
Cj, you might check with Larson's in Norcal.
I know they usually have 1 or 2 boats which go
to a summer camp. They come back with 400-500
hours, but are only 1 year old. Obviously cost
more than 9K, but still good deals.

If you don't mind, email me hallbriank@comcast.net. I might be interested in looking at another boat myself. Thanks, BKH
Livin' the Dream

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2006 at 11:58am
9K seems great. If it aint broke, don't fix it. How does the transmission feel? Is the interior in decent shape? You can always get the scratches and dings fixed. The graphics can be replaced too. Who rents Nautiques? Must be expensive!!!

Ken
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2006 at 2:22am
2000 hours and still has good compression. Just guessing, but it's probably been rebuilt already. How much compression did she have?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic