Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Im going to look at this boat, what to do

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Im going to look at this boat, what to do
    Posted: March-01-2006 at 8:12pm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/5/82560595.htm

Im gonna go take a look at it, my questions are the usual, is it worth the money? What to look for that go wrong with these boats? Im going to get him to take me out on it, any special tests? Ive done some reading about stringers, and walking the deck barefoot to feel for soft spots.
Thanks a lot guys!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 9:06am
Welcome to CCF!

Tough to tell much from the picture. My advice from a BAD EXPERIENCE is to get a compression check. I didn't and my engine needed to be replaced. If the compression is poor, then you should pass. Unless he's willing to drop the price to about $4,000 with a bad engine. Looks like it has a lot of nice extras.

Make sure the transmission clicks in and out of gear smoothly. Ask for the boats history, records, etc. Is the trailer rusted out?

$7,700 isn't bad if the mechanics of it are decent. I'd see if he'd drop the price anyway. Get that compression checked!

Good Luck,

Ken
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2006 at 9:14am
Thanks, im gonna bring my compression tester with me. I have built a couple engines and done heads and cam packages on a few LT1's. Im new to ford motors, but im sure i can pick up on it pretty quick. I have the list of things to check like lag bolts around engine, to see if the stringers are rotted. I will definately check compression, if there is more than 10% difference between cylinders there's a problem. I could also use this to my advantage to get a better price, i wouldnt mind rebuilding a motor.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 6:55am
Ok i went and looked at the boat, interior is nice, tranny shifts very smoothe, no vibrations. The engine has some rust on it, and one bolt on the front of the port side stringer wasnt holding anything, the rest were in very good. What do you guys think? He redid the floor w/ 2 layers glass, and its very firm, no soft spots.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 6:57am
O yea, i was told to feel the back of the water pump, it was nice and cool until we ran it hard. After that it was hot, i could still touch it, but it was a lot hotter than before. Do you think it was just motor heat transerfing from running it, or is the impeller going?
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 11:35am
Where did you leave it with the seller? Was he willing to come down in price? Did you have an opportunity to test the compression? What did the temperature gauge read? Was it blowing any smoke out the exhaust? What's your next move?
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 1:57pm
Its with the seller, he lives 4hrs away. Im gonna give him a call tommarow to see what he can do w/ the price. I didnt notice any smoke, didnt do a compression test b/c i wanted to get home, and the motor seemed to run good. The temp gauge read a lil above 100. Im gonna see what he'll take for it, then make him drive halfway, cause im not doing that 4hrs again .
Dtaylor373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtaylor373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 2:08pm
wannabeSS, where are you located?
David T
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 5:47pm
ft. lauderdale, FL. Its like 20 min north of miami
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic