NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waterline removal on hull suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterline removal on hull suggestions?
    Posted: September-03-2013 at 9:41pm
I am trying to clean up my 85 SN. It was stored on a dock in the delta that was not so clean. So I have this waterline that is dark. I have used rubbing compound, it has helped but has not eliminated the line. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks,

JD the new guy.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 9:51pm
On and off hull cleaner. Put it on the line with a paintbrush, let it sit for recommended time and hose off. Use plenty of water and keep the trailer covered or wet
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
cooperlacy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooperlacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:15am
Did you apply the rubbing compound by hand or by machine? If the acidic hull cleaner doesn't work, you may need to compound it with an electric buffer. There are lots of good wet-sanding/buffing threads on here. I believe there is a link in the FAQ thread as well.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 8:15am
A cheap readily available acid based cleaner is The Works toilet bowl cleaner, 20% Hydrochloric acid. Usually $1-2 for 32 ounces vs. $12-15 for Star Brite, which is 5-10% oxalic acid.   It can be diluted still further with water. Protect anything painted or metal, don't use it sitting on concrete. It seems to work better on a damp hull. I like the idea of "painting" it on to avoid getting it somewhere you don't want it. Wear long (kitchen type) gloves and avoid getting inside the gloves. A magic eraser cleaning pad will help with the tougher spots.   
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 9:10am
Castrol Super Clean may work also, Its some pretty potent stuff undiluted
levin
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 9:52am
Toilet bowel cleaner straight will take the wax off if your not careful. It takes off the stains though!! Ask me how I know.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 10:03am
Did not mention the wax after. You probably do get some slight etching which will make the stain come back even faster the next time.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2013 at 2:01pm
Collonite Hull Cleaner seemed to work really well. I only used it on spots I missed or didn't come out using the Starbrite Hull cleaner. The Collonite seems like it would be an expensive/labor intensive way to do the whole bottom.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=7837
Steve_SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 9:58pm
I second the works, its literally amazing the brown stains I get from a day in the river are gone like magic with basically no scrubbing. However as was stated they do seem to come back worse on occassion. Long gloves are a must because it WILL burn your skin...even with gloves it still gets me sometimes. And the fumes are enough to make you vomit if you get too close.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:24pm
The stains might come back more quickly after using the acidic cleaner because it not only removes the iron stain but also takes whatever dirt and old wax is in the normal pores in the gelcoat. If you re-wax after de-staining, it will help avoid that.
"Art"
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:39pm
If the stain comes back try wet sanding. It is a protein that gets into the pours of the gelcoat
Steve_SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:50pm
Interesting, I wondered why it always came back in the exact same pattern.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 10:19am
FSR    Fiberglass Stain Remover available @ West marine, Boaters World, and other marine outlets. Apply (smear on) wait 10 mins (go get a coffee) Wash off, and when dry polish(wax)the waterline. Simple and effective art getting the stain off.
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 11:15am
Just make sure you do not get it on your trailer, skin, shoes, carpet, concrete, or anything else you do not want dis-colored!! I was also surprised how fast it destroyed a sponge. Gloves and goggles mandatory!! I have not found anything better for removing the tannin (rust) stains. As stated above it will "etch" the gelcoat so make sure you wax well before putting back in water.
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 1:49pm
Thanks guys for all of the recommendations. I used lysol bathroom cleaner. I let that sit for a minute or so and brushed water line. It came right off. I threw down some wax and the boat looks pretty good.

Thanks,
JD
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

FSR    Fiberglass Stain Remover available @ West marine, Boaters World, and other marine outlets. Apply (smear on) wait 10 mins (go get a coffee) Wash off, and when dry polish(wax)the waterline. Simple and effective art getting the stain off.

I've been using FSR for a lot of years, I agree works well. It has oxalic acid which is the ingredient in a lot of the name brand hull cleaners. I like the way the gel goes on easily with a sponge and doesn't drip too much.

Here's a link to a MSDS on FSR:

FSR MSDS
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 1:33pm
Pete recently pointed out that there is Oxalic Acid in Bar Keepers Friend powder too...
89 SN
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 2:11pm
Another "thumbs up" for the FSR product ... easy to control, works well. We leave our '94 SN in the water during our annual family vacation (otherwise it is always in and out) on a lake that seems to stain the bottom the moment the boat hits the water. Last year, I used Slimy Grimy (it also works well, but is difficult to control ... it requires a spray application), but tried the FSR this season and don't think that I will go back! DO follow with wax ... for what it is worth, I am a Collinite fan!
komandante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote komandante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 7:26pm
I used muratic acid diluted with 50% water it works like a charm and requires almost no scrubbing. Must wear a mask and gloves. Also need to wax thoroughly afterward.
81 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic