Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

??holley 4160 fuel bowls?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ??holley 4160 fuel bowls?
    Posted: September-03-2013 at 11:45pm
so both of my fuel bowls are leaking around where the needle and seat would be on a regular bowl, but being a marine carb, these bowls have no needle/seat to adjust, it's just some pressed in plug... my question is can i drive those plugs out and replace them or do i need to buy completely new bowls???!!!
i found new bowls on jegs but don't like the idea of spending 90 dollars if i could just drive the plugs out and press new ones in. please advise

thanks- steve
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:22am
after some research here it seems they are called welsh plugs, but will they seal properly if you put new ones in??
there is a good pic half way down the thread
welsh plugs
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 10:41pm
bump
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 10:49pm
This comes up from time to time. A lot of times after the bowls are dipped in carb dip. Did you recently rebuild?

Guys have patched them with JB Weld somehow? I guess all around the seam of the plug.

I'd that doesn't work, there are a few sources for the bowls. Summit, Skidim, Holley online. I'm sure guys will throw out some other sources and solutions too.
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 11:20pm
Ahh ok. no I didn't rebuild but the po did THEN put the jb weld job on them, but they still leak. I want it done right so I'm just gonna buy the new bowls
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 12:11am
Steve,
One of the bowls leaked on my carb after it was rebuilt, I ended up buying a new one from these guys, they are a Holley distributor.

Hobbs' Carburetor Shop
108 windham Rd.
Pelham, NH 03076
603-635-2415

Their pricing was very good! Good luck! John.
Old school goin back to school!
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2013 at 9:58am
call holley i think i got them both for around 50. it took a few weeks because they make them to order . still have the old ones with jb weld . they dont leak and u can have them pay ship but no telling if they will leak.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2013 at 11:30am
I have replaced a few bowls because of this. I have also tried to become a Holley distributor but never got any good answers from anyone. Have talked to several reps at events to no avail.

The Holley stuff we buy from pcm is wicked expensive.
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2013 at 1:17pm
They are very soft and mallable for a reason, no need to replace them. Take a hammer and you can 'reseal' them with a few taps and a soft punch(wooden dowel). My primary was leaking and this is how I fixed it. I started with a few taps in the dead center(angle the dowel a tad to spread and not drive down so much) and worked my way out in a pizza spreading kind of pattern. They don't see a ton of pressure so no need to fret too much.   

I wouldn't use jb weld. that's just a patch and you don't seal off the leak you merely cap it with an imperfect seal. If you 'reseat' it you'll effectively seal the leak for good.
'94SN Restoration underway...
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 12:40am
thanks for all the advise fellas, tomorrow we'll see if they leak.
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:33pm
update, tapping the plugs as john said worked, they no longer drip continually! the front may need a few more taps but that fixed both plugs on the rear!! tag this for future it could save you 60-90 bucks!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 11:06pm
Nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic