Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft coupler solution needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft coupler solution needed
    Posted: April-25-2004 at 11:44pm
I dropped a Graymarine 4-75 into my '49 CC this afternoon. The oil pan on this engine evidently sits a little lower than the previous Gray.

I have about a .75 inch space between the prop coupler and tranny. I know the manual calls for a .002 guaged clearance. I can't move the engine any further back without cutting into a floor stringer, and I would rather not replace an otherwise OK prop shaft just to get one that is .75 inches longer.

Is a commercial solution available or perhaps even a "household" solution? Otherwise I was thinking about getting a slab of alluminum cut and drilled to fit. Thanks SM
sm
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2004 at 8:00am
You can move the prop coupler up, just maintain a prop puller length between the back of the strut to the front of the prop, 1/4 to 1/2. Be sure the prop will clear the bottom at least a 1/4 of a inch.
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2004 at 3:30pm
They make something called a Drivesaver that is a disc of heavey plastic and bolts between the shaft coupler and output flange. It is meant to make up for minor misalignment and lessen vibration. Should be available from a marine store.Hamilton Marine in Maine has it. They have a website.It is about 3/4 inch thick.
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2004 at 2:39am
The drivesaver was the perfect solution. Not only did it fill the gap between gear flange and shaft coupler, but helps to protect the engine from the shock of hitting a rock or running aground. They retail online for about $180. I found one on Ebay for $60 bucks ... used but otherwise in fine condition.
sm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic