NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

filter/separator change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: filter/separator change
    Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:21am
well I culdnt wait to see if my 79 nautique ran so I put new fuel in and began to crank last night. She fired after 4-5 attempts of7-8 cranks and began to run well. She then died while running at approx 1000 rmp and wouldnot fire again. The boat has sat for 2 years and has a fuel filter water separator at the front of engine just under the floor on spotter side. It is corroded and obviously needs replaced. How do I change this without draining the remainder of fuel in the tank? Also is there a filter/screen on the 4160 carbs where the primary inlet is?

Any help would be great. Thanks Rob
Lake Livin' Rocks
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:28am
That fuel line goes to the top of the gas tank and is syphon (sp) feed , you just need to drain the fuel line not the whole tank.

Ps. might be a good time to replace the rubber fuel hose all the way back to the tank. On my 81 it was all dry and cracked, accident waiting to happen. Make sure you get a marine approved fuel hose, got mine from skidim.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:59am
Make sure you check for spark and not just concentrate on fuel. Could be that the ballast resistor gave up the ghost or something equally simple.
woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 12:16pm
Thanks guys

David F sorry what is a ballast resistor? I know just enough to get myself into trouble. I was thinking of pertronix upgrade with their coil and pointless ign will this fix it? Thanks for the schooling. Rob
Lake Livin' Rocks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 12:55pm
While doing this cranking and running what about the raw water pump? Most older CC's have a fuel shut off valve just in front of the motor mount.
Tim D
woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 5:06pm
Tim,

I disconected the belt first. I didn't see a shut of valve although I have to admit I didn't look very hard. This has a fuel filter/separator where you describe the shut of to be. Makes sense though with increased throttle it choked and died as if starving for fuel or fuel shut of at lease that is how my three wheeler acts with the gas off. Thanks for the advise. Rob
Lake Livin' Rocks
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 7:54pm
    Woodboy, general parts are a must to replace and may cure the problem, but if it continues, need to see if a "no spark" of "no fuel condition to get you heading in the right direction. Both are easy to check. Good luck!!
                                Jeff...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic