NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

car alternator?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: car alternator?
    Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:30am
while inspecting my 79 nautique with 351 commander I noticed the alternator looks a little small and newer than the rest of the engine components. It is a motorcraft alternator does this sound correct? thanks Rob
Lake Livin' Rocks
hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 12:37pm
you should check to see if its a marine alternator or not, auto parts store should be able to cross reference it, but if it isn't a marine unit i'd replace it, so you don't blow your boat up
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 1:31pm
If it is a car alternator, you could ways take the guts out of it and stick it in a marine alternator housing. That is, if you had one.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 5:37pm
I just bought a 1 wire marine alternator off ebay or $45.00 plus $18.00 shipped to my door. It's 100 amps so it shouldn't choke from my stereo system like the original did. It bolted right in without any problem. A local alternator guy told me that to switch from 2 or 3 wires to 1, you just have to tape off the smaller 1 or 2 wires and just use the battery wire. I see there's still lots of new and rebuilt ones on ebay right now.
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 5:57pm
I have a smaller than usual one also it was a motorola just took off installed new 1 wire alt with more amps works great many thanks to all that help me with the wiring of course they know who they are just ask my man JBEAR he still having a headache from my other post
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 7:26pm
Tony; I CAN'T believe you are chiming in on this post. Don't you care at all for my mental state??!! What happens if you wake up J_I_H.? HE and JEFF KOSTIS will be at it again.

Just sent in my form for Orlando. We gonna make some plans or just meet up there? With your job (not a job, an adventure) I hope that you are off that day.

Just read in one of your other posts that ya had the boat out. Spring break for me from school so I am planning the same for this week.

To long of a personal post again. Sorry.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 6:39am
this is the best, and it's on sale, free shipping        http://www.ebasicpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Category_Code=MESDEALS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic