Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto ballast?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto ballast?
    Posted: March-21-2006 at 12:57pm
Has anyone wired pumps to their dash to create an auto ballast system? I'm thinking of doing this and I'm wondering how you keep from overfilling your sacks, or how you know they are full so the pumps shut off. I've got other questions as well, but I'll start with that one. :)

I'm also considering the lead route...but I have no idea where to find lead @. Any suggestions?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 1:20pm
Dank,

A lot of guys get lead at tire shops or other
scrap houses, melt down, and make bars themselves. I think lead is ok for a couple hundred pounds in the bow, or as a movable source to balance out the boat, but I don't think its a good idea as your entire weight source. You are carrying all that weight, regadless of whether you are boarding or not. Tough on the engine, tough on fuel economy. It is also a lot of weight structurally when on the trialer.

The auto ballast systems typically have an overflow hose which goes out the side of the boat. I lot of guys fill the ballast until they see water streaming out the side. Over on PN. com, several guys have plumbed and wired ballast systems into their boats using both hard tanks, and ballast bags. You might check there as well. I know several guys have done it with early model Super Sport Nautiques, which have essentially the same hull as the current Air 210s, but were produced before towers and ballast were available. BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 1:21pm
P.S. you also might check a site called the2001.com. It is a site dedicated to the 82-89 nautiques, with a lot of wakeboard enthusiasts. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 1:36pm
Take a look at this

Here's another
(you'll need to register to see the pics on the above links)
I've been contemplating this kind of project also.
Life is Good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic