Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern CCSN and early MC-SS

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern CCSN and early MC-SS
    Posted: March-28-2006 at 11:03pm
Hi there.
I own a 1990 CCSN196 in good condition.
Now there are two, I bought a, I think pre-1980 or early-1980 Mastercraft Start and Stripes, doesnt fit in this forum but its a classic for sure, I dont know if there is an equal early age Mastercraft forum.
The MC will come in about 3 weeks.
It has a PCM 351W with gold valve covers and modern cast PCM exhaust manifolds. Is this a updated engine shouldnt it be a commander?Velvet drive.
There is probably done a painting job. Does anyone know, have those older boats the same gelcoat type as modern which can be repolished. Do earlys have molded gelcoat colors?
So a lot will be to do. Any help will be great from you, will pu pictures on my photobucket in 3 weeks.

jos
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 5:57am
jos1,

years ago I had an 82 S&S, had the 351w pleasurecraft with the powerslot 1.5:1 trans. That was an awesome boat. It will probably have the same issues most of these older boats have with wood stringers and floors so check it out. Mechanically there's very little difference from any other inboard of that era.

Gel on the deck of mine was textured so you could not wetsand it. It should have glitter in the stripe which is in the gelcoat so that may be a problem to restore, on my old one we shot the stripe with clear, looked fine.

Good luck with it
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 6:44am
Jos1,

There is a great MC forum that covers the spectrum of MC boats, from the early S&S like yours to the modern XStars. There are several people over there who have done full restorations on those older boats and are a wealth of knowledge. Definitely a good group of guys- much like us. You can find it here:

Team Mastercraft

Interestingly, there are some differences in construction between the older CC and MC boats- I believe MC went to all fiberglass '83.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 7:45am
Trbej...you are correct...83 and up!
Jos1...while being a loyal Correct Craft man(I have three)...it is hard to not to agree that the S&S MC is a classic ...thats why I have one ! Alans right..the power slot tranny is awesome...the boat handles well and turns on a dime...stay away from choppy water though!
I won't reccomend posting a photo here...but email me one
lisaandgary@insightbb.com
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 8:05am
I for one wouldnt mind seeing a picture- Ive always loved the look of those S&S boats. Being a CC guy, I dont know if I could ever own one- but I guess Stang can get away with it because he owns plenty of CC's!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 9:54am
trbenj,

I think the ratio is 3 to 1. You're allowed to buy one Mc after each 3 pack of CC's, right Stang?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 10:43am
Guy I work with has an old S&S. Doesn't use it much any more and not at all the last year or two. I talk boats, especially old boats with him occassionally. It got him thinking. He thought he should sell his. So he takes it to the shop, makes sure its in good running order, now he's getting the hull shined up and the upholstry fixed up. Decided not to sell afterall, once he got involved with it again. Good for him. I would have loved to have picked it up, as I too like them, but I didn't have the $ laying around. I'm glad he made the right choice. (by the way Jeff Kostis, he lives in S. Maine)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic