NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seat knobs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat knobs
    Posted: January-29-2014 at 9:35pm
Anyone have a source for these? Our latest project came with a few less than a full set, and I'll need more for other projects down the road. Theyre chrome plated metal of some sort, about 1.75" diameter.
I found one on ebay randomly listed as a boat windshield knob, so these had to have been a generic part (marine or otherwise) that was widely available at one point. I know they were used on CC seats 69-71, possibly a bit later than that as well.

If anyone knows where to find more, I'd love to know about it!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 10:32pm
Get ahold of Art, Tim. He mentioned them quite awhile back but not sure if he was talking about the newer plastic ones. Worth a try anyway at least to pick his brain ;)
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 11:09pm
Tim, keep me in mind if you find a source, I think I have only 6 of the 8 on the 70 Mustang. Who knows maybe a volume discount?

Thanks, John.
Old school goin back to school!
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 11:26pm
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 9:24am
Thanks for the tip Jody, McMaster was my first thought when I started looking a while back. Unfortunately, they dont have anything that closely matches the style, diameter and thread size of these.

I'll check with Art and Don... but I was hoping someone would recognize the knobs from a more common application- making replacements readily available and cheap. Like the 70's and 80's ski mirrors that were actually big rig side views and can still be bought for $20.
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 11:24am
I need an odd amount of these as well... It's all in the details!
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 7:34pm
Knob place in Wisconsin ???
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 1:13am
That's fantastic!
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Knob place in Wisconsin ???

Marty, had you identified anything they had that was the same (or similar), or are you just throwing another potential source out there? I dont see anything exact in their catalog. The ones that look sort of similar and might look ok if you were replacing the full set (9 lobe stainless) were $25/ea. Or maybe Im missing something?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 11:57am
My link was just something to look at-

Here's another one.

KNOB ?

KNOB ??

Where's Roger ???
66 Skylark
93 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 12:52pm
Bump... hoping someone recognizes these and knows of a source. Nothing I have found available new is very close... or reasonably priced!

Anyone have any boat salvage yards nearby?
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:13pm
Tim, what is the thread size on those?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:16pm
Someone here posted that they are 5/16-18, but I have not verified that myself.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:33pm
Going to be tough finding an exact match with that "bowl" in the top. Have you tried Carrlane? Jergens? JW Winco?....trying to remember sources from my tooling designer days...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:42pm
None of the above... I havent found anything new that is even close. Everything is plastic now. Or $$$$. I doubt these are made anymore.

I'm holding out hope that someone recognizes them as being (more widely) used for a different application- marine or otherwise. I just dont know what to search for.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:46pm
Search for "clamping knob"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I havent found anything new that is even close. I doubt these are made anymore.

I'm holding out hope that someone recognizes them as being (more widely) used for a different application- marine or otherwise. I just dont know what to search for.

Tim,
I'm very proud of you for your original efforts however I'd be surprised if you will be able to find the original zinc die cast knob. If not found, get the closest you can find. Remember, there are times when getting as close to original as possible is acceptable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2014 at 12:26am
I might be able to help you out. I will check my parts inventory.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2014 at 10:50am
Scott, that would be great- thanks. I think I'm only 2 or 3 short on my '69 Stang. Of course I need a full set for a '71 Skier project too, but if need be, I'll take Petes advice and get the closest I can find. I still think there are some if these things out there somewhere though!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 6:09pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2014 at 11:46pm
When CC quit stocking them, I used to buy them from Reid Tool Supply for Southeast. Make sure you get the ones with the brass inserts, otherwise you might never get them off. Sometimes I used to put silicone grease on the threads, too.
"Art"
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2014 at 12:48pm
there is one in ST Pete Fl. huge salvage yard he would have them
Lakedog55
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2014 at 1:13pm
Ive been trying to get a hold of Don in Keystone Heights without much luck. Got any more information on that salvage yard in St. Pete, Mike? You make your way over in that direction often?

ScottZ hooked me up with some knobs... so I'm in pretty good shape for now- but would still love to find some more for future projects!
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2014 at 1:58pm
Dude I went there once on my tenth wedding anniversary. I never loved my wife so much. Guy has like 10 hangars full of stuff. Old stuff. He is open a couple of days a week to public.
I think it is called Jims
but could be wrong. Top Ten coolest place ever.
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2014 at 4:35pm
The name of that place is Dons . Holy ccrap talk about a needle in a haystack. He has one hangar full of steering wheel s a whole tractor trailer full of mMorse controls. I could have spent a week there. I think it is open on Saturday a month.
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic