NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Green Lake 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:49pm
What a great picture.    Sorry I couldn't make it this year, had a band concert going on.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:20pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:20am

Nice Photo of the 200 Sport !!
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:27am
Thanks for the pics, keep them coming. I hope everyone got home safely.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:31am
Recap,
Yes GL14' was a small, more "mini" like reunion. For us planners, it was actually quite nice, as we were able to take in the group activities a little more without any heavy lifting. It was the first time in 8 years were me and my family actually hit the water on Friday afternoon.

Anyway, GL14' was also great as we had the pleasure of meeting a new CCFan'er (you can see the rasberry color'd mustang in the picture above. John and is wife and friends came out from Racine for the day, which was great. Along with a suprise vitis from Quinner, and to see Scotts new 200 Sport was awesome.. You really can't see the cool blue metal flake gel, which looked really cool in the sunlight..

GL14' wouldn't dissapoint with usually brutal water conditions, with constant winds from the SE, but we were able to get some water sports in. And Alan and Dana doing most all the heavy lifting, kept all the kids wanting more... My girls had the best surf session they've ever had. They really have the 200 dialed in perfectly. So a special thanks to them for their timeless effort and generosity to always want to pull someone. Gabs will always remember Sunday afternoon !!!

Speed runs in Pauls beautiful 71' Promo was awesome.. Next time, I'll really hammer on it hahaha. And always good to see Steve's Classic, as it came out of hibernation to make the party !!!

Some brats, chops and rubber hotdogs over a campfire rounded the evenings. And with a lot of laughs in the end, I'd say it was a great success !!

Next year it will be official, so mark you calendars !!!!!

Thank you all for coming.
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:37am
That's nice but how was GL14'?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:54am
only pic's from '14,you'll have to wait till next year for review.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

That's nice but how was GL14'?

bwahahaha, I was just reading some old contracts from 2013 haha. That's what you get for doing two things at a time.. Duh'

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 11:53am
The photographer didn't even take a pic of her own boat! The Mustang
pictured still has it's 2bbl 260 and the Avalanche well it got a
blistering 13.1 on the way up and 11.1 on the way home,try and beat
that Alan

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:08pm
Back home no problems all weekend, great trip with great friends. Low key weekend with more time around fires than the Goose, it sure was great to catch up with everyone.

And yes we ran the snot out of the 200 which we just love doing. We ran for 3-4 hours solid each morning until it really started blowing. Sunday night was some good water as several of us shut down Norwegian bay. It's really great to pull people around that don't get the opportunity like we do.

As Dave said it was nice to go to GL without an agenda to follow but I'm also looking forward to 2015. Lots of townies I bumped into were asking where all the Correct Crafts were so they miss us!   
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

the Avalanche well it got a
blistering 13.1 on the way up and 11.1 on the way home,try and beat
that Alan

You'll have to step it up Gary, 15.9 up 15.1 home. That headwind on the way home pretty substantial. LOL
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 1:11pm

gotta love that green machine
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 1:36pm
Here are a few more pics from the weekend.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by 800wildcat 800wildcat wrote:

Then they called today and said they had it out and it was running fine and then it started losing power and started knocking. Then it stalled and wouldn't restart and they had to tow it. So won't know until the last minute if I can make it over to the Bay Sat afternoon, but will certainly try. Hopefully, it's not serious, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dan,
Not being at the reunion this year, I don't know if you make it or not? I don't see where you answered as to what the problem was.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
800wildcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Then they called today and said they had it out and it was running fine and then it started losing power and started knocking. Then it stalled and wouldn't restart and they had to tow it. So won't know until the last minute if I can make it over to the Bay Sat afternoon, but will certainly try. Hopefully, it's not serious, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dan,
Not being at the reunion this year, I don't know if you make it or not? I don't see where you answered as to what the problem was.
I dropped it in the water and it fired right up. But over at the Bay even with 3 guys in the back it only GPS'd at 51. Two years ago it hit 53. At the end of this season, they couldn't get it to stay running when they put it in gear so I took a quick look (had no tools with me) my guess was a blown head gasket. They ended up towing it to pull it out. I brought it to my place and pulled #7 plug and sure enough water drained out. I ran the hoses to the exhaust into a 5 gallon bucket and pulled the front caps off the exhaust manifolds and plugged the pipe outlets at the rear and dropped the intake hose (from the hull) into the bucket also. Then I used a good sealer and ran it 20 minutes at idle and it sealed the leak up fine. Put everything back together and while I was at it, installed a magnetic pickup to replace the points. Took it back on the lake and ran 53 on the speedo (which has always seemed to be pretty close - I was ticked I left the GPS in the truck. Was running out of time as darkness was falling, but am now happy it seems to be running as strong as ever - or maybe even a slight tad better.

Camp Grow had another boat donated to them (a stern drive) and may possibly put this one up for sale. I've suggested they keep the SkiTique for a backup, but they're a bit tight financially right now and may choose to sell it. I wish I was a bit better off financially right now - I'd be real tempted to buy it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 9:10pm

Put everything back together and while I was at it, installed a magnetic pickup to replace the points.

Dan,
Thanks for the response. I hope the sealer holds out. Why did you get rid of the point set?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:24pm

Put everything back together and while I was at it, installed a magnetic pickup to replace the points.

Dan,
Thanks for the response. I hope the sealer holds out. Why did you get rid of the point set?
Please, Pete, you didn't really ask why I got rid of the points did you? I HATE POINTS! I'd set them before I dropped it in in June and they would go out of adjustment half way through the summer. Got tired of it and the replacement kit gives a slightly stronger (claimed) spark. But I hated points long before the SkiTique, my first car was a '66 Dynamic 88 which, of course, had points. Then a '66 98, '69 Tbird, two '71 MGB GT's and a SWB Chevy van with a straight 6. The last MG I finally installed a MSD unit so the points would last. The only good feature on those (on the B) was the ability to change your timing by turning a thumbscrew which moved a rod connected to the base plate. 11 clicks = 1 degree. Then, finally, I got my first vehicle with electronic ignition. But so far the SkiTique seems to start and run better so I'm a happy camper. It still has the Mallory distributor.

The sealer I used was K&W, it's the type that you need to drain and flush the antifreeze completely out of the system before you use it and then drain and flush the sealer when you're done with it. Didn't need to worry about antifreeze in the boat, of course, but it appears to be pretty good stuff. I checked compression on the bad cylinder after sealing and it was back up to 130 psi, which is the same or above what the rest of the clyinders tested. And, as I mentioned it was reading at least 53 on the speedo, and I haven't seen it past 51 for the last two summers or since I had the prop repitched. So maybe the leak was dropping performance slightly (although it always seemed to start, idle and run fine until they had trouble with it half way through the summer) or perhaps the Hall effect unit is giving it enough stronger spark to improve the performance by that amount. Since I made both changes at the same time, I guess I can't verify how much which item contributed to the improvement. I'm thinking both played a part. Either way, if the camp keeps the boat and I can bring it over next summer, I'll be looking for a few heavyweights to sit in the back and see just what it might be able to do now. Perhaps it'll be fast enough to be able to keep a certain barefoot Nautique in sight - with binoculars....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:57pm
Point set going out of adjustment? I've had them run for 20 years without even touching them.

The conversions are know to fail. Better performance? Did you get your point set from Auto Zone?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 1:41am

Point set going out of adjustment? I've had them run for 20 years without even touching them.

The conversions are know to fail. Better performance? Did you get your point set from Auto Zone?   
But Pete, this boat gets run more than twice a season....

Be serious Pete, any motor that gets run a couple of hours a day, 5 days a week for most of the summer isn't going to have the points stay in adjustment for 20 years. Even with grease on the rubbing block, it's going to wear, especially after the grease dries out. And after it ran for 20 years without being touched did you put a timing light on it and verify the timing hadn't changed? To me, there's a difference between still running and still running with timing unchanged. And an automatically adjusted dwell is something no point set can accomplish. Or do you like that bounce at high RPM?

Or do you just set your points with a matchbox cover and call that good enough?

Points are known to fail worse than magnetic pickups. It just might be why auto manufacturers converted....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 7:50am
You won't get a hotter spark out of an ei conversion kit- spark strength is determined by the coil. All you did was change the triggering mechanism. The only way it could account for the performance improvement is if the points were improperly adjusted beforehand.

I have found the cost, reliability and failure mode of points to be far more acceptable than the ei conversion kits... But to each their own!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 11:13am
Geez the only thing more tired than Pete's old points is this old argument....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You won't get a hotter spark out of an ei conversion kit- spark strength is determined by the coil. All you did was change the triggering mechanism. The only way it could account for the performance improvement is if the points were improperly adjusted beforehand.

I have found the cost, reliability and failure mode of points to be far more acceptable than the ei conversion kits... But to each their own!
Not completely correct. The coil does determine spark strength, but how quickly the primary voltage drops will affect the voltage level produced in the secondary. The function of the capacitor (condensor) is to slow the collapse of the field current in the primary windings enough so that there is no (or little) arcing at the points. Removing the condensor alone will increase the rate at which the field current collapses. So if your triggering mechanism shortens the time for the field current to collapse over points (by removing the need for the condensor) it will increase the strength of the spark.

The unit I installed cuts the field current collapse time in half compared to points, thus the increase in spark energy. Dwell time at high RPM can also increase compared to points allowing for a stronger and more consistent spark and spark timing. So to whatever extent your switching mechanism affects dwell time and field current collapse time it will also affect the spark strength.

Point operation degrades over time and with increased RPM. That isn't acceptable to me. If I was a rich man, I would have just installed a MSD unit and used the points as the trigger. Of course, I'm hoping the reliability of the unit I installed will be acceptable. Hall effect units have done quite well in cars. We'll see.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 12:34pm
Dan, is all this necessary to drag kids around on a tube in the bay??
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 1:56pm
Good one Moj. So far, I have gotten a call half way through the season each year about them having trouble getting the boat started or staying idling when putting it in gear. I reset the dwell on the points and it solves the problem. It does seem to me that the points that were on it go out of adjustment more rapidly than points usually do. Unfortunately, it seems to affect their perception of the reliability of the boat. It may be contributing to their consideration of selling it. An open bow would be more ideal for them. But we'll see how long the stern drive unit they just had donated at the end of this season lasts. If and when it dies, maybe at that point I can persuade them to look for a Sport Nautique (9 passenger vs SkiTique's 5).

And tubing puts more load on the drivetrain than skiing. Don't know if they even have anyone that can teach kids to ski right now. I'm still trying to get them to remember to at least pull the plug when it's going to rain....[rolls eyes]
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:02pm
one downfall with points on a boat is moisture...causing no start! easy fix but dont really have that problem with EI.
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic