NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Measuring vacuum, rough idle.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robbied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measuring vacuum, rough idle.
    Posted: March-02-2014 at 3:44am
Boat has been through some issues, got it mostly there. But in the process a lot has been apart/replaced.

I am left with a rough idle, seems to start to hunt when warm. checked the timing seems ok 10BTDC is this the best setting though. What timing gives best starting an idle?

When I would both idle screws in it still ran, carb became quite noisy but still ran and could rev it.
Could be a slightly too high float allowing fuel in through the boosters?

I know that power valve is an option even though I checked it, could still either be wrong one or leaking slightly.

I have vacuum gauge but don't know where to connect it to test for vacuum to get the correct power valve.

When I do connect it what vacuum should I expect.

Thanks got any help in advance .

Rob. Devon, England

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 11:22am
Morning Rob! You, like many, are searching for that elusive key start and smooth idle from an older carbed boat.

The first red flag we see is that the idle circuits don't have much effect on how the boat runs. They generally should kill the boat if only one is turned all the way in. This could mean a few things.

-Sometimes folks have the timing retarded too much at idle which causes the throttle place position to be open so far that the engine isn't actually running on the idle fuel circuits. Your timing seems in the normal realm. Just make sure you are using a quality adjustable like to verify proper timing.

-As for your vacuum question, Marine engines have less places to hook into vacuum than a car does. You need to get some type of adapter to fit the gauge to the PCV nipple on the carb spacer on the rear. Idle vacuum should be set at desired in gear idle rpm. You should see a number higher than 15 but more desirable around 16-17 inches. If you can't achieve a number similar to that the thing probably has a vacuum leak somewhere.

An issue with some higher hour carburetors could be a vacuum leak coming from worn throttle shafts/base plates. I had a carb with this issue that made me scratch my head quite a while.

So a vacuum leak can also cause the issue you are seeing. The symptom of vacuum leaks is usually an ok idle out of gear but a stumble into gear and hard to operate properly in gear at idle. It also makes the idle screws not very responsive.

If the carb isn't fresh you might as well go through it to verify and check the power valve. Holleys aren't rocket science during a rebuild.

I would start with the Vacuum adjustment and report back.

A little more background on whats new/rebuild/replaced on the engine would be helpful.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

The first red flag we see is that the idle circuits don't have much effect on how the boat runs. They generally should kill the boat if only one is turned all the way in. This could mean a few things.

+1

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2014 at 9:19pm
Had same problem went to take it apart and found out that my bowls had come loose tightened it up and solved problem. Not to say that's what you are experiencing, but it helps to check all the simple stuff and eliminate the easy stuff first.
mike
Be careful the bowls won't take having to much torque.
Lakedog55
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 2:20pm
If checking vacuum make sure you hook up below the throttle plates. This will test Manifold vacuum and that is the correct vacuum.
Once hooked in and running it should be constant, if it bounces you have a problem in one or more cylinders. Say it is jumping between 10 and 16 inches you might have a burned valve or one dead spark plug or bad spark plug wire. Good vacuum is a good test of an engines components. It will show you have good compression and all parts are working well if you have strong vacuum at idle. Follow the advice already given to fix your carb issue before wasting time on other issues. Strong compression numbers will create strong vacuum numbers, I have seen 15 to 21 inches in good running engines at idle.
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

An issue with some higher hour carburetors could be a vacuum leak coming from worn throttle shafts/base plates. I had a carb with this issue that made me scratch my head quite a while.

So a vacuum leak can also cause the issue you are seeing. The symptom of vacuum leaks is usually an ok idle out of gear but a stumble into gear and hard to operate properly in gear at idle. It also makes the idle screws not very responsive.

I have been scratching my head all week trying to figure out why my boat occasionally runs very rich at idle and sometimes the idle screws snub it when I bottom them and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the I get flat 16 inches of manifold vacuum and sometimes it bounces between 5-10 inches.    Finally figured out tonight that there is a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft. I can snub the motor with carb cleaner from the outside.   Float is set right, no seepage from the boosters. Is it agreed that a throttle shaft leak can cause the idle circuit to not operate correctly? Any options for repairs outside of replacement carb? Have seen mixed reviews on other forums of drilling out the bore and putting in a bushings.
1976 Martinique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2020 at 10:13pm
Wis:

I'm assuming that you have a Holley 4160 carb. Holley does make some throttle shaft service kits. You may want to call them and see what they say. They have decent tech help. 1-866-464-6553

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 1:00pm
They do have decent tech help, I've used them in the past. But nobody is home right now when i tried to call. I have seen in other posts that people say that the throttle shafts in marine carbs are different as a safety measure to prevent fuel leaking. Is this true?

I wouldn't mind paying $140 to just get a new throttle body without fooling around with reaming the bore in putting in bushing.
1976 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 2:38pm
Probably a bad time now but Holley sells returned carbs that have been refurbished on ebay. I picked up a 450 for a 302 a couple of years ago think it was under 300 for a 750+ list carb.. You cannot tell it from new. A 600 for a 351 should be way easier to find. When things get back to normal it might be worth a call to them and ask rather than dump money into a worn carb.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by wiscofoot wiscofoot wrote:

They do have decent tech help, I've used them in the past. But nobody is home right now when i tried to call. I have seen in other posts that people say that the throttle shafts in marine carbs are different as a safety measure to prevent fuel leaking. Is this true?

I wouldn't mind paying $140 to just get a new throttle body without fooling around with reaming the bore in putting in bushing.

Wisco

The marine shafts are different

Click on the link for an old thread with some info and pictures   

link

wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 10:49pm
Thanks Ken. That thread was hard to take. I am happy to see that some of the participants haven't been online in almost a decade.   I will return my throttle plate when it arrives, instead of trying to plug the vacuum ports.   I have been in two boat fires, neither of which were caused by non-marine parts, but I will never put myself or others at risk of having to go through another.   Does the fact that the shaft are splined impact the efficacy of reaming and bushing the shaft bore?   FYI I didn't find anything good for a reman on eBay as of May 1 2020
1976 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 11:30pm
Didn't think you would that's why I advised you to call. They might not even be there- might not be a essential business Your other alternative is to spend the money and look at a quickfuel. Took me awhile to find a 450. I had seen them earlier that year and thought well they are available I'll just wait.Then when I was ready none to be found. I wasn't having trouble I was going to convert a 2 bbl to 4 and was going to use the old 4bbl off the Mustang and put the new one on it so I could afford to wait.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 1:16am
Gary

I have had vastly mixed results with technical support from Holley. I broke off a secondary booster and they swedged/pressed in a new one for $50, Less than a week turnaround.   Other times I have wanted to drive to Kentucky to engage the tech face to face.
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 12:05pm

Thanks Ken. That thread was hard to take. I am happy to see that some of the participants haven't been online in almost a decade.   I will return my throttle plate when it arrives, instead of trying to plug the vacuum ports.   I have been in two boat fires, neither of which were caused by non-marine parts, but I will never put myself or others at risk of having to go through another.   Does the fact that the shaft are splined impact the efficacy of reaming and bushing the shaft bore?   FYI I didn't find anything good for a reman on eBay as of May 1 2020

The bore that the grooved shaft rides in is smooth, so the old shaft should be good with the new bushings.

If the issue is leakage at the shaft like you think, then you should be able to wiggle the shaft if the wear is bad enough to cause running issues.
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 11:51am
Ken, I'm not getting any significant runability issues from idle speed all the way up to WOT @44 mph. It lugs a little and smokes a lot idling in gear.

A couple things I'm sure of:
-The main bowl float and needle and seat are set correctly.
-There is no visible fuel coming out of the boosters at idle or after shut down
-New fuel pump last year.
-Tore down carb last year to send to holley, so i cleaned everything i could (with spray and air) and replaced all the gaskets etc. .
-The smoking/richness at low speeds has been ongoing since i purchased the boat.
-The throttle shaft does not physically feel loose when the linkages are all connected.
-I can kill the boat with carb cleaner sprayed directly on the throttle shaft where it exits the bore on the port side, using a tube on the spray can so it is a concentrated stream and not splashing either down the throat or on other things, and i can't find another leak at any connection/gasket.
-The idle air mixture screws do not seem to do much, definitely don't kill it when seated gently, and smoothest idle appears to be with them fully seated.
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 12:20pm
I'd figure that you have other issues with extra fuel getting into the engine from someplace besides the primary idle circuit.

Do your secondaries shut all the way to the stop screw every time or maybe hang open some and your idle issues are because of that?

Post a picture showing the left side of the carburetor showing the primary and secondary linkages and the little sorta S shaped linkage that connects them.

Take the picture with the engine off and the throttle in neutral.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 1:45pm
Ken is onto it
Additionally, next time it is off, flip the carb over and inspect and image the transfer slots on the primary, likely showing a lot. Its sounding like a turd with multiple issues that needs replacement
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 2:28pm
Thankfully my better half is working from home so i was able to solicit some pictures on demand.

I am going to pull the carb off tonight, a guy i work with happens to have a reamer and bushings so if the shaft is noticeably loose i can at least make that repair at no cost. Could an obstruction in the air bleed cause this?

I will post pictures of the bottom side once i take it off. If anyone has leads on a good reman unit please let me know.

1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 2:43pm
How about a picture like this one , straight on from the side showing the same stuff?

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 2:58pm
next one need to put some finger pressure on the secondary's bellcrank (onthe right) to see if stays firm, or can rotate a bit , leaving a gap between the where it is now, and the bent rod.. If an 1/8" or more shows, the primary idle stop is cranked cranked up
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

next one need to put some finger pressure on the secondary's bellcrank (onthe right) to see if stays firm, or can rotate a bit , leaving a gap between the where it is now, and the bent rod.. If an 1/8" or more shows, the primary idle stop is cranked cranked up

Thanks, Do you mean that i put pressure from the right? Or in towards the carb body while i try to rotate it.

Sorry Ken, no more pics until i get home tonight. Also, i shot you an email with a link for a reman on ebay, my concern is that it is an Auto carb that was rebuilt with bronze shafts and J tubes..   

Can you guys fill me in as to what you are suspicious of? You think the fuel may be coming in from the secondaries?
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 3:21pm
That linkage needs to be like in the picture I posted.

Any gap like what GottaSki mentioned means the secondary butterfly's can flop around a little.

There's always fuel coming from the secondaries at idle.through the secondary side idle circuit All fixed orifice sizes in a 4160 like yours, nothing to adjust

As far as the Ebay carburetor................. run away run away as fast as you can. We'll just leave it at that
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 12:14am
I just realized that I hijacked this, so I apologize to Robbied because I Robbied his thread. Before I pulled the carb off I decided to check the power valve and it was blown out. Luckily I had a 7.5 and gasket leftover in the Holley kit and it completely resolved the issue. I was able to tune the idle adjustment screws for peak vacuum and have excellent response, steady smooth idle, and no smoke.   Thanks for your help guys.

Not scrapping the turd yet! May still ream and bush the shaft bore but for now I will bask in the pleasure of resolution.
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 7:37am

I just realized that I hijacked this, so I apologize to Robbied because I Robbied his thread. Before I pulled the carb off I decided to check the power valve and it was blown out. Luckily I had a 7.5 and gasket leftover in the Holley kit and it completely resolved the issue. I was able to tune the idle adjustment screws for peak vacuum and have excellent response, steady smooth idle, and no smoke.   Thanks for your help guys.

Not scrapping the turd yet! May still ream and bush the shaft bore but for now I will bask in the pleasure of resolution.

It seems like you should have checked or replaced that early on in this troubleshooting process   

I guess since it was leftover in the kit, you decided not to replace it, maybe because it was a 7.5

I wouldn't touch the bushing job, you'll probably create more problems messing with the shaft and butterflies.
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 2:25pm
Ken, I agree that I should've checked it earlier. I didn't realize it was a possible source for fuel to dump in under the throttle plates. I feel dumb now. What do most guys run for PV in these? The marine kit only came with a 7.5 and a 2.5.
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 8:34pm

Ken, I agree that I should've checked it earlier. I didn't realize it was a possible source for fuel to dump in under the throttle plates. I feel dumb now. What do most guys run for PV in these? The marine kit only came with a 7.5 and a 2.5.

Yup, if the diaphragm is ruptured , cracked etc gas from the bowl gets sucked through it and into the engine through the vacuum port that connects to the power valve bypassing all the carburetor circuits.

If the diaphragm is good and the valve seat is leaking, then gas gets in through the normal flowpath for the power valve through the PVCO's and into the main well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic