Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Stuck - Yuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
TracyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 8:44pm
Tracy B
TracyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 8:45pm
Tracy B
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 6:48pm
Thought I'd drag this old thread up from the dead with a little info on getting a stuck distributor out, with maybe no destruction involved........maybe.

I got a call a couple of days ago from a friend with a gt40 who couldn't rotate or lift his distributor. He wanted get it out due to PIP issues.

I asked him if he had a 1/1/4 inch combination wrench, he said "yea,do you want to borrow it or something"

I said yep, I'll be over shortly and we'll get your distributor out while I'm there.

So I showed up, "borrowed the wrench" and used it on the hex built into the distributor (probably built that way for situations like this) and got it rotating with some force involved, without busting anything and with some penetrating oil and continued rotation, it was moving pretty easily and it lifted out without much effort

Here's a picture of the hex and a 1 1/4 inch wrench on it

There's a reasonable amount of working room and the leverage with the big wrench is good and you can use a hammer of your choice for some gentle luv taps if needed. We had a few taps involved.

This wrench method also works on the original equipment Prestolite's on the earlier PCM engines, but you need a 1 5/16 wrench for it's hex

Here's a picture of the Prestolite hex

It's a fair amount stronger in the hex area than using strap wrenches, chain wrenches, hammers or other brutal methods on the distributor bowl, and you don't really destroy anything along the way, in case you're planning on reusing the distributor Wink

Some other distributors like a  Mallory or a Pertronix don't have a hex

DUI for Ford no hex, DUI for a Chevy has a hex

The GM distributors on the fuel injected Chevy engines have a square section that you can use a wrench on,  instead of a hex

Maybe this'll save somebody some aggravation ........maybe it won't.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2023 at 8:17pm
Good tip, Ken.  I didn't know about the 1 1/4 wrench trick.  A stuck dizzy can really be a b!tch.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Jass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2023 at 6:34pm
I have a '99 SN with a Ford PCM.  The motor is really clean and I have no reason to touch the distributor as it runs like a top still.  That said, is there some specific lubricant I should put where the distributor goes into the motor to preclude the housing from sticking to the block?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2023 at 3:57pm
A little of your favorite penetrating oil, Marvel Mystery oil etc around the base won't hurt anything and will probably soak into the gap where it fits into the engine, and help keep things loose when it's time to rotate or move the distributor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic