NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb rebuild
    Posted: April-10-2006 at 12:53pm
I removed my carb on my 82SN yesterday while watching the Masters. Got it apart, pretty dirty. I had the common prob. of dripping after shutting engine down and having to give ga to restart. Got a kit from SKIDIM and it has the 2.5 power valve. You guys have talked about being sure to get the 6.5 valve so I called Vince and he told me that I should use the 2.5 that some comparisons were done and that the 2.5 actually worked out better. What's the deal? Should I use the 6.5 that's in it or replace with the 2.5?
Thanks.
"Boat - A hole in the water surrounded by wood (and fiberglass) into which one pours money"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 1:20pm
the secondaries will kick in later, may save some gas, may not open the secondaries, not sure. The kit I got had the 6.5, but I got my holley kit from rex marine whem I did mine.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 1:29pm
Vince is usually right on but I don't agree here.
You vacuum will have to drop below 2.5" before the pcvo's open, thats bad in a marine application, lean stumble unless you give it full throttle. Get a 6 for 6.5 from Summit.
I've had a 5 give me trouble, a 2.5 is way too late to richen the mix.

Due to marine loads, you need the extra 25% fuel from the pvco's at ski speeds on the primaries. The PV is supposed to shut to improve milage during low-load, high vacuum cruise when you only need 40 hp to keep rolling; applicable for a car but not a boat.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 4:36pm
Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna call Vince later today and try to get some clarification on his thoughts. I'll let you know.

Todd
"Boat - A hole in the water surrounded by wood (and fiberglass) into which one pours money"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 4:46pm
I would guess he's not going to change his mind, especially if all of the kit's he has have the 2.5 power valves it would be hard to sell them saying that ya these kits have the wrong powervalve and you need to buy this too.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 5:37pm
Can I get a 6.5 PV from an auto parts store locally? Or do i have to order from a marine place.

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 6:01pm
You should be able to get at any autoparts store that sells holley carb parts. So save on shipping and get it locally. They are all the same so I don't believe you have to worry which model carb you have.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 7:06pm
Talked with Vince. he said he has prbably 1500 kits out there over the past two years with the 2.5 PV in em and they work fine. Oh well, the saga continues

TC
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 7:46pm
Well, I guess fine is fine if you like fine. I don't.

People remark my boat runs like its fuel injected, and I have a '82 PCM too. All things have to come together to get there, but it would be impossible with a POS 2.5 PV.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 9:20pm
I think I'm gonna put the 6.5 PV that was in it back in. It ran like a scalded dog before, only problem was the dripping and the hard starting. What do you guys think about me doing that. Or should I go get a 6.5 PV at the auto parts place.

Thanks again guys!!!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2006 at 9:57pm
Is it 25 years old, or more recent? If unknown, get a fresh one. Watch the shoulder style, one is rounded, one is flat, and you can't mix them without consequence.

-edit - I overspoke, just have to match the correct gasket style to the PV. Shouldn't be a problem.

River Rat to Mole
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 12:29pm
Go with the 6.5
The 2.5 was put into a lot of kits and it's not all that desireable, although it will work and provide fuel economy. If your a slalom skier, need a good holeshot then you should consider the 6.5   I purchased a Holley re-new kit for my carb and I was lucky, that's what was in the kit. I had a 2.5 installed on my carb and it stumbled all the time-
DONT stick the old power valve back in. Put in a new one.
I thought Holley was going to stop putting the 2.5's in the kits. Apparently not.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 12:39pm
Looking at skidim's kit's they look like automotive kits and not the marine kit's. Most likely done on purpose to have a larger profit margin.

When I got my holley kit it clearly said Marine on it and the picture Skidim has it does not. And It makes more since to have a 2.5 on a car than it does for a boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 2:12pm
Ditto, mine said marine as well. If I remember correctly the kit cost about $40.00 with shipping.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 2:24pm
that's about what mine ran too, I know you can pick-up a automotive kit for around 20-25 bucks and there was a guy that had a website that would tell you which kit to use instead of the marine kit to save money. The gaskets and everthing else with the exception of the PV would be the same.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 2:29pm
That's interesting guys. The kit did have a PCM sticker over the holley one, but I agree about the 2.5. My local parts guy has the 6.5 and also new floats. Not sure if I need them but when I took the carb apart there was quite a bit of varnish and dusty type stuff in there. the secondary diaphram was rusty in the middle so I'm gonna replace it too. I currently have it completely apart and am soaking about half the parts, all that i could fit in the can, in carb cleaner. The fuel bowls aren't coming as clean as the bolts yet but I haven't finished. Someone said not to put the base plate in the carb solution becasue it's aluminum. is that true?

This is like a big kids jig saw puzzle but I'm having a great time with it. the truth will be hopefully this weekend when I get it back on the boat. I appreciate all the help and the tips and I welcome any additional ones!

Kinda dissappointed in Vince, I wish he had spelled out the performance issues to me instead of just telling me that he had sold a bunch of them with the 2.5 and it would do fine. Oh well it takes a lifetime to build a reputation and a minute to blow one.

Todd
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 2:45pm
The dusty stuff could be the paper gaskets that bed the one-way valves in the fuel pump. In my case, the valves slowly shook out of the bores, and the gaskets flapped around, abrading and disintergrating into a slurry that entered the carb, past the fuel screen then proceeded to clog the needle/seat and pilot circuits.

Finally, after a few wrecked ski-days with a clogged carb, the valve popped out of the bore then the boat finally starved.

If your fuel pump is original, as was mine ('82) I suggest replace the fuel pump else your going to get real proficient rebulding carbs.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 2:47pm
If you have some of your internal parts rusty then you've had water in your bowls. Better check your water seperator and drain it/change the filter, or if you don't have one get one.
A 2.5 will work- so don't throw Vince under the bus just yet. You'll be happier with the 6.5 and get better accelleration from a dead stop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 3:18pm
put the base plate in too, it's all aluminum, the bowls are cast and the plate is machined. Also you need to replace the spring loaded screws holding on the bowls with new screws without the spring if that is what you took off. Replace all of the parts with new, all diaphrams, springs and the float. If you can not get the bowls clean you can buy them individually or get chrome ones to dress it up a little.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2006 at 3:45pm
Might as well throw in a new flame arrestor and a wedge plate while your at it.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 2:38pm
ok. I got the carb cleaned and started outting back together. First thing i screwed up was the retainer on the check ball in the primary bowl. I was trying to bend it and it popped loose. I figured oh, what the heck the kit came with one so I'll replace it. The kit doesn't have a new retainer piece of brass and the old one is screwed up. Where do I go to get one?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 3:06pm
Good lord. I guess you were trying to bend it... Get your carb numbers and go to Holley.com or just call the place and have them send you a new one.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 9:58am
Found a guy who has a gararge and builds race motors. Knows Holley's well, gonna put it together for me. Should have it back this afternoon.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 10:53am
Good, cuz you were killing it.

River Rat to Mole
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 11:05am
You got that right! My problem is the beer. My kegerator is right next to the boat in the garage. Sure is fun though!!
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2006 at 11:24am
Got the rebuilt carb on this weekend. Ran like a dream!! Much better than before! About 4200 rpm and 46- 47 mph top end. Thanks for all your input guys. The boat is just about where I want it to be now and am probably going ot put in dry dock for summer in the next week or so. These boats are easy to work on and an absolute pleasure to drive. I don't think i will ever be able to go back to an I/O. Now if I can just figure out the ..............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic