Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1970 Barracuda 318 engine replacement question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DRC1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRC1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Barracuda 318 engine replacement question
    Posted: June-22-2014 at 4:16pm
Well, got my boat ready to go on the water yesterday and had a little trouble getting it started. A freeze plug was missing on right side and after I replaced it, it ran great. I checked the oil, only to find "chocolate milk". My question is, can I replace this engine block with a Chrysler 318 out of a car or is a marine chrysler engine completely different? (1970 Correct Craft Barraucda engine block date/casting numbers: 12/08/1966 & 2536030 318-4) Any guidance or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 4:40pm
I'd imagine you can use an auto "block", but just the block. I'm assuming you have a reverse rotation engine. Water in the oil can be because of reasons not warranting a new engine. First question, head gasket?
DRC1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRC1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 4:47pm
Im not for sure if its a reverse rotation? At this point, Im only assuming the block is internally cracked because the freeze plug was missing. As for the head gasket, I have looked and dont see any water coming out.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 6:35pm
Just replaced 2 freeze plugs in my stepsons boat(not winterized properly ) and 1 cracked riser motor was even lightly locked up thought for sure motor was going to be damaged but wasn't .So don't write it off yet.I would pull manifolds and look for damage first.
DRC1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRC1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 6:37pm
Thanks! I will check it out.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 6:59pm
A cooling system pressure tester a little imagination and trip to Home Depot you can pressure test about anything.Try to do components separate.
DRC1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRC1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 3:35pm
Thanks Oldcuda. Ok...second grade was hard for me. Lol. How would you pressure test the water jackets?....if I'm understand this correctly.
DRC1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRC1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 3:23pm
Ok....so far so good. Checked the intake and heads, no cracks there. Next will be pulling the engine. Im going to start gathering small parts and was wanting to know when I order my full gasket set for the LM318, can I use an auto gasket set or does it have to be marine engine set? There is a huge difference in price.   
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 5:33pm

The head gaskets are the main differance between auto & marine.
If you run in fresh water you can use auto gaskets(i have Pete)

On a reverse rotation engine look for piston pin offset most after market pistons don't use offset pins so no biggie. With the off set pins the pistons are installed bacwards to lessen the piston rock at the bottom of the stroke.

Yea, the cam is cut for reverse timing too.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic