Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waketique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swim platform
    Posted: April-24-2006 at 4:28pm
Well its to late for this year, but I plan on repainting my boat next winter, and while I was at it I was thinkin of trying to fix my sad excuse for a swim platform. It seems as though my platform is sitting my higher on my transom than many of the others I see on this site. also if you look at the construction of it, you can see shims were used to level it out. I was wondering how hard it would be to move it lower down the transom, also if I did that, would it level the platform out so it wouldn't need that crappy lookin shim job? because when I make a new platform I would like to make it out of real teak. here is a link to my diary which shows what I am talkin about.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=977&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
1978 Ski Tique, Skylon, Fatseat And Sacs for ballast
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 8:48am
I took a look at your diary and I see what you mean. First, it's hard to tell from the pictures because there are no close ups of the platform area, but it looks like the platform brackets are not correct for the boat, that's why it's shimmed. Watch the parts board and maybe you can find the correct set of brackets there. It is mounted high, normally it is mounted between the exhaust and the speedometer pitot with the stainless steel lag bolts going into the rear of the stringers so that the transom doesn't flex if a lot of weight is on the platform-thus causing hairline cracks in the gel coat. Has there been any fiberglass repair in that area? Maybe the platform was raised up to that position to take advantage of making new holes.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 8:50am
Let us know where your at after the filter change, and clean that sediment bowl glass!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 9:56am
I agree, the platform is too high and too narrow...all wrong. I believe you need zero degree brackets (Marine Alloy) for that vintage boat. The platform should be full width of the transom and mounted just above the water level when the boat is normally weighted. This will place the brackets close to the bottom of the transom. From first hand experience, I can tell you that it is acceptable to thru bolt the brackets. If you thru bolt, you should use 1/4" aluminum backing plates of at least 2"x2" (bigger is better). Two brackets are sufficient and even better is a support angle "L" at mid span.

I think you will find that it will be cheaper to construct the platform using IPE. It will be several pounds heavier that teak, but will last just as long, if not longer. IPE has a very attractive reddish brown color that can be maintained by oiling. If left untreated, it will weather to a drift wood grey.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:00am
yeah looking at the brackets it didn't seem right, and I could definately tell that the platform was much to high. It works for now so I plan on leaving it, but if I do strip it down this winter I will try to fix the platform, because the real ones looks 1000 times better. Thanks for the help
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 4:55pm
I have plans I drew up for a reproduction platform. I bought my brackets from marine alloy. When they are here I will take pics of the install. The bracket measurements I used are 90 degree rise, 15 degree swing (from 90) and 14 1/2" long. I measured with a protracter from the back of my boat so I'm pretty sure that's right. I'd measure myself if I were you to be sure you're getting the right angle of swing. There is a post that shows a pic I took of my unfinished platform. I will take more of the mounting when I get my brackets.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 4:59pm
yeah i would love to see pics of the install, thanks
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 4:20pm
I also took pictures of the transom while it was in the water to find the waterline, also to make sure I get the placement right
1978 Nautique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:33am
Here's the platform drawing I made from measurments that Alan took for me. I made it 54" wide, not 5'. Also, I built it square and cut the angles after.

Also, I made it out of 3/4" Ipe, not teak. I had Ipe laying around from my deck and teak was too expensive. Ipes use for water contact is just as good if not better than teak. Downsides are it's heavier and it won't float if it comes off of the boat in the water.
1978 Nautique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2006 at 12:56pm
I got my brackets from Alloy yesterday. I hope to be putting the platform on this weekend. I'll take pics of the process.
1978 Nautique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 11:00am
Well the platform is finished and mounted. I think it came out pretty well and it's so much nicer for putting skis on.

1978 Nautique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 11:40am
MArk, That is sweet. Awesome color that ipe finished up to. is that stained or natural with oil?

Love those brackets.

nice job
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 12:07pm
Hey Mark,

You said you got the brackets from Marine Alloy. Do they have a website? I didn't find them with a search. If not, can you give me a phone number?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg

86 BFN
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 12:56pm
It's finished with teak oil wich is pretty clear. But that is the color of ipe with an oil on it.

Marine Alloy is www.alloymarine.com

My measurements for the brackets turned out to be a 15 degree swing angle with a zero degree rise. I know that's works for a 78 not sure for others.
1978 Nautique

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 9:34am
Absolutely beautiful! You did a fantastic job and it is the first platform I have seen that is actually built from IPE. Someone else actually calculated the extra weight of IPE over teak and determine that it only added minimal weight (line under 10 lbs.). Not sure, but given the size of the platform, the extra weight surely is minimal. That thing will last forever.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 11:24am
Thanks, I thought that if I noticed any change to the wake for the worse I would put a little weight upfront. (I only slalom) I skied off of it with the platform and the wake hasn't changed for the worse. Maybe a litte to the better but that could just be wishful thinking.

It might last forever, but if it ever comes off in the water I'll lose it. Ipe doesn't float. lol

Now I just need to get an Acme prop.
1978 Nautique

jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 7:05am
A lot of great help in your post. Thanks. I plan on building one for my 72 Skier probably out of mahogany because its available in Georgia and a lot cheaper then teak. How did you determine the height on the transom? I have concerns because my son wakeboards which has the boat speed 15 to 20 mph, not necessarily full plane.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 9:38am
Teak and Ipe are dimensionally more stable than Mahogany, I believe. I think you will see a lot of swelling and shrinking as the mahogany gets wet and dries that could cause the joints of the platform to loosen over time. You can find Ipe at your local/regional wood deck supplier.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 12:12pm
I took photos of the boat in the water. I also looked at pics of others platforms and based my mounting height off of there. The plaform may be submerged if you weight the boat sitting still but what happens is under way the boat clears the water out of the way and it will ride clear of the water.

If you look at wakeboard forums, I see tons of pics with boats and their platforms under water while sitting.

I also agree that you might have problems with mahogany. Check the prices for Ipe in your area you might be suprised. However, weren't some of the old woodies built from mahogany and even mahogany plywood?
1978 Nautique

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 12:37pm
Yes, old wooden boats were mostly built from Mahogany, but precisely because the swelling of the wood was a desirable factor in helping to seal the joints against leaks. And given the relative rot resistance (not as good as Ipe), color, grain, weight, etc. was the best choice of wood for many boats.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 12:54pm
Yes a dimetionally stable wood is wanted especially if you plan on using the alloy brackets. With the wood wet, when you go to remove the platform, it could bind up. I have to remove mine to put in the boat garage after every outing and even with Ipe it's a little tough. I can't imagine what would happen with a wood that's not as stable.
1978 Nautique

jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 5:36pm
It is strange mahagony gets such a bad rep considering it was a top choice for boat building. I'll check IPE availability and prices here.
76 tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 11:23pm
what are the alloy backets made of?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2006 at 9:38am
Alloy. Aluminum 6061 T6 anodized
1978 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic