Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller Shredding

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
210 SANTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 SANTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller Shredding
    Posted: August-19-2014 at 9:38am
Guys,
Boat: 2008 SANTE w PCM EX343.
Hoping to get some help on why my impeller keeps shredding to bits. The first impeller this season lasted almost 50 hours and now after rechecking the new one with 7 hours I discovered it was doing the same thing. These are OEM PCM parts being used. The inside of the pump does not feel or appear to have anomalies etc. and the strainer is performing as it should. Is it possible some of the pieces from the last impeller were sucked through the pump causing the new impeller to self destruct?    
2008 210 SANTE
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:01am
Where is it shredding it? I have a customer with an 07 236 with the same issue. Shows no symptoms of an over heat until the impeller goes.

He says it is shredding towards the outer edge on one side only.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:08am
Debris will go both directions from the pump when an impeller fails. Believe it or not, pieces will up-stream.
Does the damage align with the cam fins or with the slots?
Bearings good? Shaft straight?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
210 SANTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 SANTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:09am
It favors the middle but of the 10 vanes 6 are more than 75% gone or severely damaged. I did not pay attention when I pulled it out but would say it is the side that faces the engine/ pump housing. I will email you a couple of photos for reference.
Thanks.
2008 210 SANTE
210 SANTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 SANTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:13am
Baitkiller,
I can believe that as the pieces from my first impeller this year I found jammed up just under the cam fins. I know this sounds crazy but I am going to pull the suction hose off and check to make sure there is not something in the spring that is being drawn up and into the impeller when water is flowing. The damage does not favor the cam slots but does show the normal wear associated with the slots if you know what I mean.
2008 210 SANTE
210 SANTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 SANTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:31am
Baitkiller,
Yes the bearings seem and feel good and shaft appears straight. I will however look at it again to make sure.
2008 210 SANTE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic