Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Federal and O J prop question.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78swind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78swind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Federal and O J prop question.
    Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:43pm
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have a question about a couple of props I recieved when I purchased my 78 Southwind 20.

Federal prop 13 x 12 supercup. Looks to me that there is no cup in this prop at all. Doesnt look to have been cut down, because it measures out to 6.5 inches to tip of blade. Doesnt appear to be hammered out either, but I'm not sure.

O J prop 13 x 14 cup. Cup is eviedent in this prop, thats why I am wondering about the "supercup" on the federal. O J prop seems to look newer, and I am assuming it hasnt been used as much.

I am takeing this boat out for it's maiden voyage for us this week. It has a 350 OMC engine and I am thinking the O J prop is to big for this size and style of boat.

Any information yall can give me will much be appreciated. I am haveing a hard time finding out anything on the Southwind 20's.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 2:03pm
Cupping on the Federals isn't as obvious as well as a mighty subjunctive comment without seeing yours. Either way I agree with your assessment and would run the 13x12.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 3:11pm
I suggest putting the OJ on ans seeing what the WOT RPM is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
78swind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78swind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 12:37am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I suggest putting the OJ on ans seeing what the WOT RPM is.

I will probably try both this weekend and post my rpm's at WOT on each. The Federal 13 12 is what's on it now, and I will try the other one as well if I can get it changed out at the lake. I don't have a prop puller yet, so that may or may not happen.

What is the max rpm's on my OMC 350 that I should be looking for. I don't want to over rev the engine regardless. I'm thinking not to go over 4800. Is that about right?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 5:32pm
Did you get any results on the props? How did the boat run?

I'd agree with 4,800 being a good max rpm, though if it runs a bit higher and you like the prop performance I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you're going to see rpm that high with those props, curious about the numbers you got on the water.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
78swind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78swind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:24am
Ok, got 4800 out of federal 13 x 12 supercup, and 3800 out of 13 x 14 OJ cup prop.

I am thinking of getting the OJ reconditioned and repithched to a 13 x 13 pitch and see if my rpm's settle out to about 4300.

The OJ had a ding in the leading edge and had some vibration so I changed back to the federal. I really liked the cruising speed of the OJ, seemed it was planning well and cruising about 30 at 3000 rpms.

The federal was turning about 4000 at 30, eating alot more gas. Federal has alot stronger hole shot than OJ, actually feels like it is spinning on take off it is so strong. It will pin you back to the seat. The fed will pull a 260lb wakeboarder up at less than half throttle, the OJ required nearly full for same result.

I will probably buy me an Acme 540 and get my OJ repithched for a spare and hang my federal up on the wall in the house.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:11am
I'd get the new one and not spend money on the others. Keep 'em as spares, but a dinged prop will get you home. There's a great knowledge base here to help you buy the right prop. Also look for Pete's thread on lapping a prop to the shaft.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:12am
Would it be fair to say that a re-worked(cast originally?) prop will never be a new CNC?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic