Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Guage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Guage
    Posted: April-26-2006 at 7:36pm
When I turn my boat on to accesoire the gas gauge is below the E. Does this mean it is not working? I just purchased the boat.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 7:41pm
HMM, I don't remember for certain, but I believe the key needs to go over to the on position (not started, but just to on) before the gas gauge engages. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 10:05pm
    Correct, it should only work when the key is in the "on" posoition and not accessory unless it was played with.

Jeff...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2006 at 10:36pm
I turn it to the on position and the only thing that moves is the volt meter, How far do you have to tutn the key to get it to on? I'm scared to start it as it is out of the water.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 10:57am
turn the key to the run position and not acc, but it sounds like it's bad, I would recommend you get one from a CC dealer like Mid-West, South-West or any regional dealer.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:12am
Does the guage actually move to the left of "E" when power applied? If so, maybe the gauge is wired backwards (reversed polarity).

Is there gas in the tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 12:46am
How much is a new guage worth?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 12:47am
If th etank was empty would it be below the E, on the guage.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 9:27am
Very possibly YES.

I do not know the price of the gauge, but the sending unit is about $60.00 from CC dealer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 8:02pm
We'll hope it is just empty. I just bought the boat.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 9:25am
I got a new sending unit for about $20 (local boat store) and I bought a new guage from Overton's for $21. Actually I bought all new guages from Overtons. My old ones were getting a little cloudy.

Forgive me... I did just notice that you are 1998 Nautique. Mine is a 78 so I'm sure parts prices are a little different.
78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 10:10am
With the cost of gas what it is here in the states I'd bet the guy that sold you the boat drained it dry. Can you look down in the tank with a match and see if it's empty...........

Just kidding.... I can use a flshlight and look down into my tank to see if its full or whatever. You could also use a long wood dowel like a dipstick to check level of fuel.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

With the cost of gas what it is here in the states I'd bet the guy that sold you the boat drained it dry. Can you look down in the tank with a match and see if it's empty...........

Just kidding.... I can use a flshlight and look down into my tank to see if its full or whatever. You could also use a long wood dowel like a dipstick to check level of fuel.

Probably not on a 98. The fuel filler is located on the gunnel, and there is a bend in the hose going into the tank. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 2:26pm
Okay thanks for the heads up Brian. Guess I better stick to my 80's vintage boats.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic