Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woody died!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woody died!
    Posted: September-07-2014 at 2:17am
Ok all, this is the '56 GrayMarine Fireball V-8 that a few of you have been so helpful with. Rebuilt the Carter YH carbs a month or so ago. Has been running awesome. Tonight went out on a cocktail cruise...ran great, then simply died...no warning, no stutter, nothing. We had been running at idle speed for maybe 15 minutes cruising shoreline.
I checked fuel...getting fuel...clean sparkplugs...seemed kind of dirty, but used sandpaper and still no difference...tried starter fluid (I know, but carry some anyways)...Nothing. Tries to start, so I think starter works (?). Plenty of battery...Haven't change anything in distributor cap in 9 years I've owned the boat..."Tow of shame" home by a friend.
Any ideas?
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 8:33am
If it's getting fuel and didn't get a sputter out of it with starting fluid, I would look at ignition.
Check over all the wiring good. A sudden shutoff could very well be a broken or corroded wire someplace. Or maybe a signal or hot lead getting shorted to ground.
I would seriously consider a tune up. Geez, 9 years without looking under the cap???? Although an engine(with points ignition)in need of a tune up normally would have poor performance long before leaving you stranded.
Definitely check for wiring issues first.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 11:59am
Thanks Eddie, I'll look that over today after skiing. When I first bought boat it had recently had a rebuild. I used a mechanic for the first couple of seasons while I spent my "spare" time working on the wood. He might have done something with with distributor now that I think about it. She has been running better than ever with rebuilt carbs, so I guess I didn't question tuning.
I briefly checked wires while waiting for friend, so will thoroughly check them today. I'll read up on checking ignition.
Keep the ideas coming! Thanks again.
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 12:04am
Problem solved!! Thanks again Eddie...
Here's what I did as maybe this will help another hack mechanic who might link onto this thread...
I took a simple test light and made sure it had a good ground to the motor. I then put the probe on the positive terminal of the ignition coil. I turned the key on. Light went on solid. I then did the same thing on the negative post, only I turned the key and pushed the start button. If it was working, it would have made the test light pulse as the points closed and opened in the distributor. No such thing happened, the light was dead. So, the ignition coil was not functioning. I went to the local Napa store with part in hand and bought a new one, put it in and it works great (easiest part replacement I think I've had). The boat starts better than ever, making me think it has been a problem part for a long time.
BTW, I did look at the points and such and they look fine. I will replace the plugs at the end of the season, which will be in a month given our weather in North Idaho.
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 11:20am
Good find.

Coils have definitely been an issue for several here in the past. They can get really hot and die out but normally after they cool back down they start working again until they heat up again.

Sounds like yours didn't do that and the reason that I said to check the wiring. Your coil might have just opened completely too which would certainly account for the permanent failure.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 12:03pm
Thanks, I'll re-check the wires.
Since Ive owned it, it has always started hard. Not yesterday! Who knows how old the old part was...If I feel it after running for a while should it feel hot, as I can check that today?
I'll definitely check wires as don't want to burn the new one out.
Another beautiful warm day for boating in NW :~)
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 12:52pm
Double check if you are running a points ignition that you either A: have a functioning ballast resistor inline or B: that the coil you chose is an internally resisted unit. Either of those two things will get the job done for you properly.
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 1:14pm
Not sure about the ballast resistor inline, but I do know it says on old and new unit not to use a separate resistor with unit. The manual says the same thing, so sounds like I'm good to go?
I'll still check all wires again...
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 1:19pm
Yup you should be ok.
eufafilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eufafilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 11:46pm
A schoolboy went home with a pain in his stomach. “Well, sit down and eat your tea,” said his mother. “Your stomach’s hurting because it’s empty. It’ll be all right when you’re got something in it.”Shortly afterwards, his dad came in from the office, complaining of (1) a headache.“That’s because it’s empty,” said his bright (2) son. “You’d be all right if you had something in it.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
buy fifa 15 coins|fifa 15 coins for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic