Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotation Direction

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeGage19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGage19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotation Direction
    Posted: April-27-2006 at 10:59pm
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum here. Great stuff so far...REALLY wanna get my grandma's boat in the water now. It needs a starter, however. I'm 99% sure it needs a CCW-rotating starter. It's a 302, and the old starter had "CCW" stamped on the side (a dead giveaway), but I wanted to check before I went and sucked water up the exhaust. Anyone know a cheaper place to buy this than the CC dealer (marine starter, watertight)? TIA
1971 SN
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:29pm
r find a local rebuilder they will replace only what need repair and usually for alot less $$$$
LakeGage19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGage19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:39pm
Oops, I forgot to post that EVERY SURFACE inside the starter was coroded. Many of the springs and pins were breaking as I opened it up to examine it, so I'm pretty much thinking that a rebuild is out of the question.
1971 SN
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:56pm
most rebuilders have new housings,brush assy and field coils and ford starters are easy to find parts for.alot of times when you go to a local rebuilder you get alot nicer job with better quality parts than one mauufactured in china or mexico where most name brand rebuilt units come from   just a though good luckt
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 12:01am
Welcome guys !
   Lake, Like southwind says, try a local rebuilder... I have a friend that rebuilt starters for years. They can completely dismantle and media blast the case. Then clean/ repair /or replace almost anything in it.

He rebuilt the corroded starter on my 64 CC American Skier last year...works like new! At least talk to one about it.. you got nothing to loose!

( or if you'd like I could haul that junk old CC away for ya! )
   GOOD LUCK... keep the ol girl in the family and post some pics!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 12:36am
Hey Lake. Find a good local starter rebuilder. A good one can work miracles. Tell them you want yours back and you do not want an exchange although a good rebuilder should be able to spot that it is a Reverse Rotation starter.

You'll probably have a lot of other questions about that 302. This is the place to ask them.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:58pm
If you still need one, try NAPA. Just bring in the number of the old one. They can usually get the marine one you need and make sure it is marine no matter where you get it.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 6:35pm
Just to make sure you understand rotation.
Tim D
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:38am
lake gauge, I believe that i have a starter, the one i have plugs in from the transmission side and spins ccw when looking at the nose cone, when bolted from the trans side it spins the engine normal (left hand as indicated from Tims very handy diagram) call me to discuss
   Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:45am
If the bolt pattern is the same then it would spin it CCW when bolted from the engine side provided it bots up right.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 12:23pm
rotations boggle my mind 79
"the things you own will start to own you"
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2006 at 11:24am
lakegage19

take the starter in to ft wayne and have
auto electric on the corner of hanna and
washington 2604267749 they can either fix
problem only or do rebuild very good bunch
of guys and honest. hope that helps.

fredo68
fredo68
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 1:45pm
Bringing this up again because I had to search for it . In case anybody else needs to view what direction their engine turns .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 6:26pm
I asked Keith to put the pic in the reference section.
Tim D
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by LakeGage19 LakeGage19 wrote:

but I wanted to check before I went and sucked water up the exhaust.

Good thing I had mine on the trailer when I was trying to start it last year with the wrong rotation starter. I had never even thought of that happening. Good thing you guys helped me figure out I was using the wrong rotation starter!

good idea to add the diagram to the reference section.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 8:44pm
Hey lake gage. Nice to see another guy my age in indiana with a classic CC. Im down around warsaw on Chapman lake. I agree. Try to get her rebuilt first. The PO of my boat threw away the RRstarter and put on a standard so i didnt have one to rebuild. Mine is from a place called wilson starters. It was 175.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic