Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing heads. Gasket advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 12:50am
Thanks so much for the help. Sounds like the marine gaskets will be the better choice. Might cost a little bit more though, but we'll go with these.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 3:53pm
I ran my automotive head gaskets for 20 years. When I changed my heads to p's I used PCM head gaskets,that are about 31 bucks each,only because I was sourcing parts before I did the job and had no idea how the old ones held up.If you look at Summit,marine head gaskets are actually cheaper than automotive. The rest of the gaskets other than the exhausts I cannot imagine being any different than automotive ones
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I cannot imagine being any different than automotive ones

Other than the word "marine" commanding more $$$.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 1:23am
Well, we ordered the gaskets. Went with Fel-Pro Marine gaskets, as these weren't overly expensive. Can't go wrong with these i guess.

Got almost all the parts we need for our head swap! Getting ready to order the exhaust bolts. Could anyone confirm these are the same length as the automotive ones? Can't really imagine them being any different, but you never know.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 4:48am
Most of the exhaust bolts I have seen use an Allen head to gain extra clearance. There is very little room for a bolt on the marine exhaust headers. I have had two 351W's, a 1978 and a 1995, they both seem to use the same type Allen head bolt, sorry I don't know the size.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 7:22am
Most likely not the same exhaust manifold bolts. In addition to being Allen heads for clearance, they're also longer since we have thick cast iron exhaust manifolds. Get the PCM ones or source yourself the same length black oxide bolts from McMaster or the hardware store.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic