Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sending Unit Gas Tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sending Unit Gas Tank
    Posted: April-30-2006 at 2:29pm
I pulled my sending unit out, and moved the float up and down. And the gas guage stayed well below the E and moved around a bit as I moved the float. I take it I will need a new sending unit. Does the unit come with the float and everything?
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 3:50pm
West Marine or Boater's World...it does not need to be a Correct Craft item. It comes with everything you'll need. Take the old one for sizing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 6:17pm
this is probably a stupid question but did you have the sending unit grounded while you were moving the float up and down
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2006 at 11:37pm
I had both wires hooked up to the sending unit when I was moving the float. Is that the proper way?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 8:23am
If its got two wires you dont have to worry about it being grounded, a new sending unit should come with the float. I am hoping my new one arrives today from skidim, if your interested I will let you know what I think of it when it comes in. I don't have an old one to compare it to though since my boat originally came with a mechanical gauge a peep hole on the back deck to look down on it.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 9:30am
Sure let me know.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:34am
Sometimes, a bit of carb cleaner or brake cleaner sprayed liberally on the sending unit will remove the varnish and let the sending unit work again.
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:43am
By the way, I have an original mechanical fuel gauge with indicator on the top (the one you look down thru the topside to view) from a 67 Mustang in someone needs one. It's in great shape and still works. Didn't know if you wanted to keep it original.

RB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:09pm
So chances are good it is my sending unit. The dial is way below the E and twitches a bit when I move the float?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 9:04am
Yes, definately. But, try cleaning up the one you have before you replace it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 9:07am
I'll try it. Thank x a lot for your help. My first year with the biat so there we'll be lots of questions.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 9:20am
I gave this a bit more thought...

1. check the output of the sending unit with a multimeter (set to read resistance, ohms).
2. check the wiring connection at the guage. Sending units work on resistance. i.e. high resistance = empty indication and low resistance = full indication (or vise versa). A poor connection could be falsly providing a high resistance.

But, I still think the sending unit is either varnished up or faulty.
tjackle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 9:21am
I replaced my sending unit for about $20. Local boat store had it. Works great now. If you have to remove the gas tank (like I did) $20 is cheap enough just to replace it.
78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 10:00am
Got to reading your post yesterday and worked on my 82SN last night. Wasn't working properly. Easy to remove, 5 - 1/4 screws and remove from tank. Inspected and found as DavidF mentioned varnish on connections inside unit. I checked it with a volt/ohm meter and wasn't getting a reading when moving float. I sanded varnish off all conduction points, i.e. the spring and where the body grounds, used some brake cleaner and generally cleaned everything up good. I also stretched the spring on the float slightly because it didn't look like it was making good contact. reinstalled and it seems to work just fine. After I fill up with gas next time I will know if it is indicating right or not. If not can you adjust the reading on the back of the gauge or somewhere else?

It was a neat little evening project. When i had it apart I showed my 12 yr. old son how it worked using the volt/ohm meter. Don't think I impressed him much but hey he's 12 right?!
"Boat - A hole in the water surrounded by wood (and fiberglass) into which one pours money"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic