Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold Water Plug

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold Water Plug
    Posted: April-30-2006 at 11:42pm
I went to put my plugs back in, and the one has a bunch of crap in the threads, and th eplug will hardly go in. Do I have to re-cut the threads.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 12:00am
I bumped into a few of those situations myself. You can do a couple of things. Try cleaning up the threads with a wire brush. If that doesn't get you where you need to go then take a sharp pick (like a small ice pick) and work it around the threads scraping out the buildup, then clean with a wire brush, and spray with oil. If the plug looks damaged you can always replace it. Heating it up with a torch will also break the buildup loose, but you need to get it to turn color for it work. The expansion breaks the crud loose. All of this is for the plug, not the block or manifold. You can buy small round wire brushes from tool stores along with small picks bent at 90 degrees that will work for the block or manifold, use no heat.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:51am
Easiest solution would be to go to your local home supply store (i.e. Home Depot). Head to the plumbing department and buy a new galvanized plug. They are just standard (3/4", I believe) pipe plugs.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 12:18pm
You should be using brass not galvanized plugs will corrode(sp), rust and fall apart lead to your problem.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 12:25pm
Yes, that is true, but it takes many years and are inspected each year. Both my boats had/have galvanized plugs. One from the factory. One replaced by me. The engine block drains have brass plugs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 2:47pm
My Plugs are brass. It is where they screw into is full up crap. So I have to clean the threads out.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 8:24pm
    A copper pipe cleaning wirebrush works well just by cutting the handle off and putting it in a drill. Purchasing a pipe tap and chasing the threads works well if all else fails.

Jeff...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2006 at 11:07pm
I would need a 3/4 in pipe tap. Where do I get one, if nothing else works?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 8:53am
Home Depot has them, they are $16.99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 9:34pm
    I cant remember off the top of my head, but do you have to take the riser off to get the tap to fit???

Jeff....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2006 at 10:07pm
Jeff,
What is the riser?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 8:50am
Jeff:

Excellent observation and yes, I think you are correct.

The riser is the elbow on top of the exhaust manifold or the part that the exhaust hose clamps to. So, you will need to purchase a new gasket before you remove yours (if you go the tap route). Just note the orientation of the gasket as it can be installed two ways, and one way is wrong.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 9:01am
pipe tap's are usually pretty short and you might be able to tap the manifold without removing the riser. Just use an adjustable wrench instead of a t-handle on the tap
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 11:49am
Try cleaning the threads as noted above. 15 minutes spent cleaning it up might save you the hassle of taking it apart and buying a tap. If it doesn't work-go shopping!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 1:28pm
What kinda of oil should you put in the hole?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 1:45pm
Ideally, cutting oil. But, any oil will do just fine because you will be going slow. In fact for simple thread cleaning, I do not even bother with oil at all...depends on how bad the threads really are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 7:43pm
Do I try and chip out the hard stuff? I will need it to break loose.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2006 at 9:58pm
    Personally, I would not use oil, and run the tap in easy until it feels resistance, remove the tap, and flush the hole with water to remove the debris. Do this several times as going "one shot" might cause the debris to roll or gall the threads.

Jeff...
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2006 at 11:34am
Using a cutoff wheel, one can make a cheap cleaning tap by cutting a groove square to the threads on a pipe-plug, then thread with cutting oil and back off and on, little at a time and clean the groove out when neccessary.

Freshen the edge if neccessary, but it shouldn't be.

I concur, brass plugs with a smear of neverseize are trouble-free.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2006 at 2:29pm
Anything I can spray in the hole to loosen the crap up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic