Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 5.8hp 260hp

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Novo85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novo85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 5.8hp 260hp
    Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:15pm
Very close to purchasing a 1999 Sport Nautique with a pcm 5.8 260hp carbureted system. I was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with the pro's and cons of this motor. Is there enough power. I noticed it was the smallest motor offered in 1999. Will this affect the resale value should we decide to upgrade in a few years etc.    Help. Need to decide by sunday eve....
E26
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:35pm
Novo,

What are you going to do with the boat. Without any detail, it's hard to say if it is enough power. If you are a big guy, and are going to barefoot, you'll probably need to be sure that the boat is not heavily weighted to get enough top end. I haven't been in that exact boat with that exact motor, but under normal conditions, I'd expect top end to be 42 or 43 mph. My neighbor has the fuel injected 310hp and we get 44-45 mph top end with a four blade prop. I assume you'll drive it before you buy it.
As to resale value, admittedly the fuel injected motors are probably the more desirable. However, having the standard motor should be reflected in the price you pay now. I would expect the price to be 500-1000 less with the carburated motor than if you had the fuel injected motor.
The fuel injected motor was not introduced until 95 I believe. There are an awful lot of sport nautiques from 90-95 running around with carburated motors and no one's complaining.
Also, just thought, if you plan to load the boat up with 2 or 3000 lbs of ballast, you may have some power issues, but, unless you are a very good wakeboarder, that's an awful lot of weight. BKH

Livin' the Dream

Novo85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novo85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 10:14pm
Thanks for the response. I will not be barefooting, however I will be wakeboarding and slamom skiing for sure. I hope to teach my son to barefoot in a few years. Thanks for the Ballast info. I am not familiar with any ballast systems. I'll drive the boat on Tuesday with a pending purchase agreement.

Any suggestions on tower locations for a 1999 Sport Nautique

E26 converted Nautique lover coming from a 1985 Mastercraft
E26
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 10:40pm
Novo85. Check out newdimensiontowers.com. This guy was the original OEM manufacturer for the Mastercraft Zero Flex towers. He started new dimensions and makes copies of original towers from CC, MC, Tige, etc. They're not cheap, but they are quite a bit cheaper than buying from the manufacturer. Best of all, he'll give you a tower that looks like a CC Flight Control Tower. Just makes it look like a Nautique.
85 MC is a good boat as well, but I'm sure you'll like the room in your new CC. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic