Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Guage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Guage
    Posted: May-08-2006 at 12:02pm
I checked the voltage on my sending unit and it was good. I moved the float up and down and the guage didn't budge. So i'am assuming I need a new guage. Do I need a guage from correct craft, or can I just go to an automotive store?
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 1:54pm
Did you touch the sending unit wires together? If you do, the gauge should read full scale (full)...if it does, the problems in the sending unit, not the gauge. It is probably not the gauge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 2:38pm
I touched the wires together and the guage moved a little bit, but it showed well below the E and the tank is 3/4 full.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 2:39pm
I touch the positive to the ground wire?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 3:14pm

I'm not expert, but your gas gauge saga has been continuing for a bit, so I'll try to add a more detailed explanation which might help you here.

You've got three main elements in the gas gauge for your boat.

First, the gauge in your dash. This is a simple electrical device. When it has power, the gas guage will go to full.

Two wires run from the guage to the sending unit mounted on top of the gas tank.

Three, there is a float in the gas tank. This mounts to the sending unit. It has a metal rod about 12" long or so, and a float mounted to the bottom. When the tank is empty, the float sits on the bottom of the tank. As fuel is added, it floats up. As the arm moves, it completes the circuit across the two wires adding more and more current to the line until the gas guage in dash is fully powered and reads full.

To check the guage in the dash, first be sure that the wires attached to it, are properly fastened and clean. Next, with the key on, touch the two wires together which mount to the sending unit. If the guage is good, it should jump to full.

Next would be to check the float. As long as the float still "floats" and if the hinge on the arm moves freely, it should be fine. If not, that is your problem.

If it is not the guage, and not the float, then it should be the sending unit.

Not technical, but I believe this is accurate.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 4:29pm
BKH,
Thanks for your help. I'll tell you what I have tried. The wires to the guage are tight. I touched the two wires together and the guage didn't move. So which do you think I need to replace?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 6:37pm
If that's the case, then it sounds like the guage (assuming you had the key on when you touched the wires). Regards, BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 6:52pm
I just tried touching the wires together again, and the jump moved a little bit up and down but still well below the E.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 7:01pm
HMMM.. I think DavidF suggested it early on, but did you try switching the wires at the guage. It's possible that they are reversed. There's not really much to go wrong with the guage. It's a pretty simple device. If it is getting current to make it move, it should work. I would think it's worth checking if the wires have been reversed. If not, I'd say try a new guage. You're already upside down on this given the time you've spent. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2006 at 8:02pm
Thank You BKHALL. Only 4 days till I have it in the water, thank you for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic