Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb/tune up parts list

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb/tune up parts list
    Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:12pm
My '82 SN with 351 was having a really hard time doing any sort of quick acceleration (like pulling a skier). It would stall/sputter and even kill the engine when pushing the throttle faster than a slight cruising acceleration. It runs great when gradually climbing to and steady state cruising speed.

I plan on rebuilding the carb and replacing the spark plug wires. Is there anything else I can put on my shopping list that isn't included in the Holley 703-28 marine rebuild kit?

I'd like to replace as many "suspect" parts as possible while I've got the carb off.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:39pm
I would definitely check the anti-siphon valve which should be on top of the fuel tank at the pickup, just take it apart and make sure it's clean, they tend to clog up and starve the fuel supply.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:43pm
I'll definitely check that, thanks!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:44pm
Are you in the City or the Burbs?? I am up north on deep lake, lot's of Chicagoland guys are regulars here.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 4:55pm
I'm out in the burbs (Palatine). I don't own property on the water so I take the boat wherever I can . I spent most of last summer on Catherine & Channel, or the river near Port Barrington if I don't feel like driving all the way to the chain.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:04pm
The symptoms described are not consistent with an antisiphon blockage... That would keep the bowls from refilling fast enough under sustained high throttle... But instantaneous acceleration would be unaffected so long as the bowls were full. Could be a carb problem but I'd rule out ignition first.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:10pm
Pretty sure I've got an extra set of new plugs I'll never get around to using. PM me your address, I'll drop them off since I drive through Palatine daily.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:26pm
I think the only full bowl was the one you smoked at lunch Timmy!! Back when you were still poopin in your pampers my 77' had the same symptoms and the fix was the antisiphon. May or may not be the main issue here however why discourage checking something that is easy to do and costs nothing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:44pm
Even putting logic aside and forgetting that a partially blocked fuel line will only cause the bowl to run dry eventually and not instantaneously... I too, have experienced more than one plugged antisiphon and will attest the symptoms described don't match. Might as well tell him to replace his steering cable and repack his rudder, both good things to do, but equally unlikely to solve his problem. ;)

Transition circuit or accelerator pump would be 2 potential culprits on the fuel delivery side, but I wouldn't touch the carb until the ignition was ruled out.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I think the only full bowl was the one you smoked at lunch Timmy!!

LMAO
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:52pm
Your not going to convince him Tim,he knows about getting stuck with clogged fuel lines

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:54pm
Don't make me come over there and pimp slap you again Timmy!!
Hah, did you find a trailer for the jersey shore trip yet??
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 5:55pm
Does it idle smooth at 600 RPM? If it isn't ignition related, I would look at the accelerator pump circuit.

-Are there any blockages in the pump circuit?
-Is the diaphram dried out or leaking?
-Is the lever arm adjusted properly?

My procedure for checking ignition problems:

1) Warm the engine up, shut it off and remove all the spark plugs. Mark any that are wet and black.

2) Replace all the spark plugs. Start the engine and let it idle. pull the plug wire off (while its running) a suspected plug at the distributor cap and note if the rpm drops. I should drop if the cylinder is firing. If it doesn't the cylinder is not firing.

3) If the RPM doesn't drop, replace the spark plug and redo step 2.

4) If the RPM still doesn't drop, swap a plug wire with another wire and repeat step 2. If the wire is bad the problem should of migrated to the cylinder that the wire was swapped with.

5) replace the wire if needed

6) Inspect the cap, points and rotor for any problems. Replace if needed.

I hope this helps
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:09pm
I don't remember having any issues idling.

Thanks for the ignition tips!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:11pm
#6 should be #1, along with points, condensor and plugs. All too cheap to waste time assessing, as problems will not be obvious. Set dwell and then timing and THEN start troubleshooting. Otherwise you will chase your tail.

Gary, we would clog up this thread to no end if we were all to post pictures of Chris getting towed in due to fuel problems.

No trailer yet, goddamit.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:40pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:58pm
I doubt anything has been replaced before in the ignition system so I'd like to just replace it anyway.

Do you recommend any specific tune up kit?

Found this one:
Skidim Kit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic