Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo install questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo install questions
    Posted: March-22-2015 at 12:51am
While I'm waiting on parts to arrive I thought I would dig into something else. The boat came with an old tape deck that I don't think was original due to the wiring job. I have an extra head unit that I figured I will swap out with it. I need to cut the opening larger to accommodate the new one. suggestions of experience of what to cut it with, multi-tool?

Second question, what is this (second picture)?
it's right after the in line fuse holder to power the stereo. I opened it up and just an inlet and outlet of the wire with solder and copper. I have no idea what it is for and why I would need it for the new one?[/IMG][/IMG]
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 6:28pm
I'd use a dremel if you have one to cut open the dash.

No idea what's up with the second pic.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 7:04pm
Isn't that an isolater so the ignition doesn't come through the radio?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I'd use a dremel if you have one to cut open the dash.

Sorry JP but I do not feel the Dremel would work very well. Due to the rotation of the bit, the bit will want to walk sideways and not in the straight line needed. I like Joel's idea of using the muti tool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 7:22pm
I used the multi tool and it worked great. I didn't see the response in time anyways. I opened that "thing" further and will post a picture shortly
I wonder if your on to something Todd.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

I used the multi tool and it worked great.

Joel,
I sure hope you buy quality tool and you have a Fein rather than one of the cheap imitations made in China!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

I used the multi tool and it worked great.

Joel,
I sure hope you buy quality tool and you have a Fein rather than one of the cheap imitations made in China!

The answer to that question is not what you want to hear. Although in my defense my boss bought it for me to keep in the truck. Usually I'm very conscientious of quality and where it was made before I male a purchase.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:22pm
the thing, anybody?
[/IMG]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:56pm
Joel,
To me, it looks like some kind of isolation transformer to eliminate any noise from the engine but, I may be wrong!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 9:04pm

Sorry JP but I do not feel the Dremel would work very well. Due to the rotation of the bit, the bit will want to walk sideways and not in the straight line needed. I like Joel's idea of using the muti tool.

They make cut off wheels that allow for straight cuts if the rotary bit doesn't work for ya.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

They make cut off wheels that allow for straight cuts if the rotary bit doesn't work for ya.

I'm very aware of the cut off wheels and in fact always have a bulk pack of the wheels on hand. Do you know they are not designed for aluminum? In fact, there aren't many hard abrasive wheels that are made for aluminum. They load up and EXPLODE!!!! Yes, the cut off wheels are fiber reinforced so the chances are less but, I have had them break apart on me and that was on steel. Have you ever see a 24" dia. wheel break on you? I have and thankfully the guard was in place. All this is why I didn't even consider the cut off wheel route.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 8:25am

I'm very aware of the cut off wheels and in fact always have a bulk pack of the wheels on hand. Do you know they are not designed for aluminum? In fact, there aren't many hard abrasive wheels that are made for aluminum. They load up and EXPLODE!!!! Yes, the cut off wheels are fiber reinforced so the chances are less but, I have had them break apart on me and that was on steel. Have you ever see a 24" dia. wheel break on you? I have and thankfully the guard was in place. All this is why I didn't even consider the cut off wheel route.

I didn't know the dash was made of Al. That changes everything. I would have used a 4" grinder, jig saw (after taping off the dash so as not to scratch the surrounding metal) or a body saw then. Dremel definitely would not be a good idea.

I thought the dash was plastic like on my '92.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:40pm

Joel,
To me, it looks like some kind of isolation transformer to eliminate any noise from the engine but, I may be wrong!

That would be my guess also. Sometimes alternator "noise" can come through the positive power source and cause static/noise/buzzing from the radio.

Sometimes certain radios don't like certain cars (boats), so they may have added this after the fact. I remember I did a stereo upgrade on an old VW Jetta. The original stereo was also aftermarket and I had no problem with alternator noise on that one. The new stereo was definitely better in most respects, but I had to buy a gizmo from a car stereo specialty shop to make the noise go away on the new one.
H2oXtremes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2015 at 5:14pm
OK, I may have a dumb question, Any help would be appreciated I know hardly nothing about audio. But I have a fusion radio in my boat with (4) 6" fusion speakers in the boat, and a single 10" sub. In addition i have 4 tower speakers. I dont know what the max watts are for these but I know nothing about amps and what to buy. Do i need a 4 channel amp or a two channel amp? or a 5 channel amp What is a class D amp. I have been directed in all directions. Thank you
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 11:32am
The easiest answer: you need a channel on an amp for each speaker. There are other ways to configure it (Series v parallel) and if you ever read see car audio forums, it can be an art and science. Ideally you want the speaker wattage to match the amp output. Too little on the amp and the speakers will under perform. Too much on the amp can potentially blow the speakers (if you are playing music as loud as possible). You would probably be fine with a 1000 watt amp for the cabin and tower speakers, and I would use a second amp for the sub. Or you can run the cabins off the head unit, towers off a two channel (assuming the two are wired together for one channel) and sub off a two channel.   Class d amps were designed to be more efficient at handling heat but can lead to low level noises (most people cant hear it, or you can use a low pass filter). If the price is comparable class d is better or if you plan on playing music really loudly for long periods of time with little air space around the amps. If just comfortable volume and adequate air space, any amp will do. If you do choose to used the head unit, I would recommend using a passive low end filter on each non-sub speaker.

Not knowing what you already have, they way I have mine set up is main 4-ch amp for cabin speakers and a second 2-ch amp bridged (uses power from both the left and right channel) for one sub.   If I add tower speakers ( when the wife lets me) I'll probably just move the cabin speakers to my head unit and the towers to my main amp.

Spiral
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by H2oXtremes H2oXtremes wrote:

OK, I may have a dumb question, Any help would be appreciated I know hardly nothing about audio. But I have a fusion radio in my boat with (4) 6" fusion speakers in the boat, and a single 10" sub. In addition i have 4 tower speakers. I dont know what the max watts are for these but I know nothing about amps and what to buy. Do i need a 4 channel amp or a two channel amp? or a 5 channel amp What is a class D amp. I have been directed in all directions. Thank you

Helpful to know what boat you have and what your intentions are (i.e. upgrading, etc.)

A Class D amp will be the most efficient (as compared to a Class AB) and draw less power. Class D's are typically smaller than a Class AB for a given power output. In terms of sound quality either a D or AB will sound the same in a boat application. I personally would go Class D.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 11:50am
i have a 1985 Nautique, and Spiral what I do already have is a simple set up, I have a fusion radio with four fusion 6" speakers in the cabin. the tower speakers are 8" and I have a fusion dual voice 10" sub. Now with the fusion 2 channel amp which I cannot recall how many watts it is was good enough when i just had the sub and 4 speakers, but with the added tower last year and 4 more speakers it just sounds distorted. I thought about just buying another amp for the tower speakers or getting a 4 channel class D amp from kicker to meet my needs. Now when it comes to the wireing I have read plenty on how to wire but not sure honestly whats best for my situation for sound and efficiancy. The fusion radio allows for zone control. so I can turn off the cabin or towers or run them all at once. my layout is simple I have left side speaker by the passenger seat and rear seats and the same for the right side and the sub under the bow. They are wired in a simple each speaker has its own wire running back to the amp. I had no idea speakers could even run any other way up to a few days ago. SO I am not sure with my set up on the tower and having 4 seperate speakers up there would be the best way to wire them now. I dont know the cons and pros to each wire concept. Sorry in advance for all the grammer its hard to type all this out on my phone. so any more help and thanks for that link i have printed that off it was very helpful but again pros and cons would be helpful
1985 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 1:01pm
I honestly don't know much about Fusion products so im on their site now, but I'm guessing you have something similar to this for the amp. I would keep that amp for the sub.

there are two sets of speakers on fusion's website. 150-watt and 200-watt at 6". the grills are different, so that will help determine which watt speakers you have. I would guess too that the cabin speakers are connected directly to the head unit.

which model head unit? how did you connect the tower speakers? Are two tower speakers in one enclosure or each speaker has it's own enclosure? Do each of the tower speakers have their own wire pair?

If you get me all the model #s or pics, I might be able to draw up a schematic for you.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 1:15pm
Yes that looks like the amp I have, the fusion speaker specs are 200w per pair RMS 100/50 each sub is 4ohm 400w I am using a grill that has a bunch of holes and more protective of the speaker against it getting hit in the boat. Head unit is fusion ip600g and as of right now all speakers are connected to the amp. The tower speakers are their own can so 4 cans. and are wired left and right side with one single speaker from the amp to each left and right pair on the tower and the same for the boat cabin. basically each speaker thru out the boat has its own wire going to the amp. cabin and towner
1985 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 4:03pm
option 1: 500 to 1000 watt 4-channel amp with signal from zone 3 output. each speaker gets it's own channel. easy (you will probably have to split the signal for channels 1/3 (left) and 2/4 (right). each channel keeps its power at 4 ohms.

Option 2: 500 to 1000 watt 2 channel amp that can handle a 2 ohm load with the signal from zone 3 output. Then run each side of the tower (2 speakers per side) in parallel to the amp. You will get more power out of it.

Option 3: If the 2-channel amp is bridgeable, you could run each side in series, then parallel the two sides into the bridged channel thus keeping the ohms at 4 and utilizing all the power from the amp, but you lose L/R (if that matters to you on a tower setup) each side would be 8 ohms x 2, but then run in parallel would bring it back to 4 ohms. Here is another good site that helps explain this.

I hope it is obvious, you will just keep the subwoofer configured the way it is currently.

i like easy. I would go with option 1 myself.

as you can see from the diagrams below, you could wire it to the head unit...but what fun would that be? And i am guessing that you wired each tower speaker in parallel with the corresponding cabin speaker, which is why things were distorted, so running in parallel probably isn't your best option even though it says it can.

of course if im completely off the mark, let me know.

the wiring diagrams came from the ip600 manual off the fusion website.

-

-

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:01pm
OK, so called crutchfield and they suggested I buy this amp link below bt its the Kicker 40kx800.5 so I did. Now how would you suggest I do that with that single amp? I hate not having my boat in front of me to see this in person.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:01pm
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064KX8K5/Kicker-40KX800-5.html?tp=35808
1985 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:51pm
since the amp says its rated at 100w x 4 @ 2 ohms...I would probably just run your left side cabin in parallel off ch1, right side cabin in parallel off ch2, tower left side (two cans in parallel) on ch3, and tower right side (two cans in parallel) on ch4. If you don't want to run individual cables down the tower, parallel the cans on the tower (connect the speaker terminals together v connecting two wires to one terminal at the amp). Then hook up the sub to the sub port. Downside...you now have an amp to possibly put in your car or sell on ebay. Upside, you can probably use the power from the original sub amp for the new amp provided it is big enough gauge (speaking of which, what gauge power/ground wire are you using? Here is a chart for amps and distance from batt)

this will maintain your left/right stereo pair (no need to maintain front/back)

****Scratch this: also, you will want to use the zone 1 and zone 2 line level outputs into the new amp, which means you should cap off the speaker lines out of the head unit. What I like to do, is cut flush ends, then use a single piece of heat shrink to protect them, but keep the pairs together (note, there will be space between each end so they don't touch)

Looking at the ip600 manual, there is not a line level output for zones 1 and 2, and unfortunately there is not a high impedance input on the kicker amp. SOOOOO, you will need to do a two way split (or Y-splitter) to "amp 1" and "amp 2" into the new amp. You should still be able to use the sub out of the HU to the sub in of the kicker. you will still want to cap off the speaker lines from the HU.

or you could just use the HU for cabin, and the amp for tower & sub. I'd rather just have all speakers off the amp myself, but you won't be able to turn off zones if everything is off the amp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 8:54pm
i see they make a kicker zisl (the high impedance to rca) as an optional thing. you could go that route if you want to be able to turn off zones.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 11:59pm
I am trying to post a reply but for some reason it will not let me because it says it spam.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic