Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

76 Ski Tique shaft and coupling removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryanibanez88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Ski Tique shaft and coupling removal
    Posted: May-07-2015 at 1:20am
Well o got that dang thing off that was not the funniest thing I have ever done
Thanks Peter
I took pictures but it won't let me upload from my phone I'll upload them tomorrow
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 9:32am
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 9:34am
now i need that prop puller
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 5:44pm
After having to pulling the coupling once, you will love the ARE shaft. If I recall, you buy the ARE from Discount Inboard Marine for less than you can buy it from ARE, and as mentioned, they are nice people to work with.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 6:53pm
yes i called today its 1x40 it will be $415 bucks or so shipped direct from a.r.e. they said i could have one in about a week I really didn't like pulling against the output flange i did it only with wrenches slow and even but man did it take allot to get it out and while pushing out my shaft my rear seal of the tranny around the output flange dripped a few drops but stopped im thinking about getting a new flange or resurfacing it just to be sure its flat and replace that rear seal i don't want to have to do this for a while
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 7:49pm
Ryan,
I'm glad to see you got it out. Getting the coupling off can be a real chore. With a known bad shaft or the intention of an ARE replacement, it's easier to just cut the shaft off. Don't worry too much about that trans drip. I've never had it happen but others here have. Chances are it will stop. Just keep an eye on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 7:55pm
OK Pete it kinda worried me do you think i should just leave the output flange alone all together i really think my old shaft is good im gonna take it and have it spun at a machine shop just to see and ill either keep it for backup or maybe sell it on here if its good
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 8:07pm
Ryan,
If the shaft checks (.003" TIR max) and you what to use it again, just be prepared to heat shrink it to the shaft. Looking at what you have done so far, I don't feel you would have a problem doing it.

Regarding the trans coupling half, see if you can get a straight edge and your feeler gauges and see if you can detect any warpage on the face. If you do, get it to a reputable machine shop and have them clean up the face. It must run true to the spline bore so dialing it in is critical especially with it's spline bore.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 8:12pm
ill check it out tonight im thinking i dont plan on ever getting rid of the Tique so the double taper would be a nice upgrade and i dont have to heat shrink it to fit
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanibanez88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2015 at 11:54pm
Well I checked the flange Pete and it is sraight as can be I will be ordering the new shaft mon or tue so it's all coming together now I'll be in the water sealed tight as a drum by the time the lake hits 75
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic