Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I hit something in water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
G Stonicher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hit something in water
    Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:15am
I drove through a shallow spot yesterday and hit groung. Not a real bad hit but enough to be able to see the the mud that I stirred up.I was going about 30 mph. After that I stopped to make sure everything was ok. I noticed that the bilge pump came on when I stopped and stayed on. I really had a hard time seeing where it was coming from by just raising the engine cover. I have a 20ft Southwind and you have to remove the rear seat and the center piece of the floor behind the engine cover for a good look. The water appeared to be coming from the rudder but I really could not tell. The rudder still works great no binding anywhere. I did notice the wire that goes through the two nuts on the shaft log was broken so that my be where the water was coming from. The prop looked fine but you could tell it had hit something, more scratches but no bends or chunks missing.
I wanted to take the rear seat and floor out after I got it on the trailer but the marina was to busy to tie up their ramp that long. So I just brought it home. Anybody have any ideas as the best way to proceed from here.
20' Southwind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:17am
Excose my spelling I hit ground not groung.
20' Southwind
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:20am
Fill the bilge up with water using the garden house. Not too high so water gets in starter or tranny, but high enough so that the shaft and rudder packing is under water. You may have to raise the tongue of the trailer as high as possible to get enough water to cover the rudder packing nut. Then look to see where the water is leaving the boat. Give it a few minutes as the water pressure on the leak points is way less than when the boat is sitting in water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 10:24am
Thanks so much for your help I will try that this afetrnoon. Great idea I had not thought of that. I knew if I came to this forum I would get some ideas.
20' Southwind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 8:52am
After further investigation I found out that one of the four screws that hold the grate on the water inlet was missing leaving a small hole in the hull.
I am not sure but I was advised to take all the screws out and replace with machine screws with nuts to be sure this doesn't happen again.
Thanks for your help.
20' Southwind
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:54pm
Your rudder has packing in it. Tighting the nut on top compresses the packing to the rudder shaft and makes it more or less water tight. If the tie wire is broken you have the possibility of having the nuts back off and then you will get water in.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 9:07am
FWIW: Most rudder systems do NOT have safety wiring on the packing nut like the drive shaft packing does. The reason is that the tiller arm will prevent the nut from backing off and the rudder does not have the rotational force trying to unscrew the packing nut.

The tiller arm bolt MAY have safety wiring.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:47am
the two bolts on top do have safty wires, one on top of rudder and the other is the bolt that clamps the arm it's self.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:40pm
I have a 95 SN, this year model has the safety wire on top of the rudder.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 1:17pm
Be sure to wire that top bolt back on. If the bolt that holds the tiller arm comes out, the rudder may fall out of the boat, leaving you with a large (1") opening for the water to come pouring in through. Too much water for the bilge pump to keep up with.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by G Stonicher G Stonicher wrote:

After further investigation I found out that one of the four screws that hold the grate on the water inlet was missing leaving a small hole in the hull.
I am not sure but I was advised to take all the screws out and replace with machine screws with nuts to be sure this doesn't happen again.
Thanks for your help.

When you put the new hardware in use 3m 5200 to seal the bolt.

Tim
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 8:45am
...or if you want to be able to remove the bolt in the future, use Life Boat Caulk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic