Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Wires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Wires
    Posted: May-22-2006 at 3:02pm
I'm installing new speakers in my '92 SNOB and I ran across a set of wires incased in a clear conduit behind the side upholstry panel. They arent the old speakers wires. On one end, they terminate inside the conduit. As a matter of fact, the end of the conduit is plugged with a silicon type material. Looks like a factory process.The other end looks like it runs into the instrument panel. Wazz up with this? Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 3:40pm
On my dad's 92, there was some tube lighting tucked up under the gunnels that turned on with one of the accessory switches. Any chance that's what youre looking at?
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 3:45pm
Dont think so. The conduit is a very thin (almost like a heavy plastic) see through tube. Its stapled to the back side of the side upholstry panel. You probably would never know its there unless you removed the panel.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 5:18pm
Is the antennae for the radio???? BKH
Livin' the Dream

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 8:40am
Nope. Not antennea related. Its a pair of wires. One blue one white. Pretty heavy gage. I'd say 14. Once the pair of wires reach the clear conduit, the plastic sleve around the wire is stripped off exposing the raw copper wire. Maybe its some sort of sensor that leads to the instrumentation panel. That might explain why that clear conduit is sealed with silicon?? Its definately a factory installed thing. I'm gonna check the '92 SNOB brochure to see if there is an option like temperature gage (for outside temp) or something related to that. No big deal for me, more curious than anything!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:46am
I would follow the leads back to the dash and see what curcuit it is tied into. I think Tim's on the right track with the light and someone has cut the tube and sealed it. Your discription sounds like tube lighting and it may have shorted over time and kept blowing fusses so the PO cut the short out and seal the ends of the wire.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 12:24pm
Thats the floor lighting,it turns on with accessory switch if it still works,at least it is in my 92 SN.When I replaced the starboard side on mine.I run some extra footage in the bow storage area.

Good luck Munday
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:18pm
I'll check out your suggestion once I get my side panel back on. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic