NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

priming oil pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: priming oil pump
    Posted: May-23-2006 at 12:16am
I am finishing up on rebuilding my rev rotation 77 351w and im to the point where its time to prime the engine..My understanding of a reverse rotation engine is that the cam is the only thing that is different than a standard rotaion as well as firing order.My question is which direction do you prime the oil pump or does it matter. Clockwise or counterclockwise?
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 5:35am
Either way
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 6:38am
Me thinks whichever way is harder to turn...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 7:26am
The distributor turns counter-clockwise so that's the direction the oil pump turns as well.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 7:31am
the oil pump will work in either direction. I agree with Bill, but they all work. If you have an old worn out dist they make great primers as well. Pop the cap and rotor off and attach a drill to the shaft and away you go.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 9:31am
Old distributors DO make good oil primers! But don't forget to remove the gear first. Otherwise your drill won't turn the shaft because it's trying to turn the camshaft as well. My $.02
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 1:53pm
Fill the oil filter with oil before you put it on, this will help on start up.
Tim D
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 2:09pm
THANKS EVERYONE WHILE DRIVING ON MY ROUTE TODAY I FIGURED IT OUT, TURN THE SAME WAY YOUR DISTRIBUTOR ROTATES.SOMETIMES YA JUST HAVE TO TAKE A STEP BACK     THANKS FOR THE IMPUT
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 11:06pm
Man I have to step back just to see things anymore

short arms munday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic