Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need to get grounded

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wormwarner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wormwarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need to get grounded
    Posted: May-23-2006 at 10:31pm
I have read several posts about low voltage readings on voltmeter. I have the same problem with dim dash lights. I read to run ground wires from gauges directly to bus bar. Can I leave the grounds in series to gauges connected, and just run ground wires from gauge ground post to bus bar? I also plan to run a wire from ignition breaker to + post on ignition switch. Any input would be helpful. My boat is an 87 2001.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 12:16am
I rewired my whole boat, 78 ski nautique. I bought two bus bars about 5 " long from west marine. One is the neg bus bar under the dash and one is on top of the stringer next to the starter which has the neg from the battery connected to, that's the central point of negative.
All the neg wires- gauge to gauge to bus bar and any required negative wire from anything under the dash goes to that bus bar, from that I ran pretty low gauge wire from the other neg bus bar next to the starter. one low number gauge wire goes from the starter area bus bar to ( forgot this one ) a small bus bar mounted on the voltage reg/solenoid/ballast resistor mounting plate for lack of the correct term and from that neg goes the carb choke/ignition and I think the gas gauge, rear running light and blower neg. My thought is to keep it simple and easy to get to, keep as few connection points as possible. Yes power for the lights and neg for the gauges can be run form point to point then at the end of the string of connections ,,connect it to a single bus bar.
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:24am
Any ideas how to find my elect. problem????
The engine won't crank over and the Batt. is OK. the motor cranked fine, but when I was done installing a new intake manifold, carb, and valve covers, it won't crank. I checked for loose wires hit the starter. What kind of elect testing can I do???
ABE
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:43am
you may have the coil and/or dist wires connected wrong double check them.

if it turnsover but doesn't fire something is wired wrong in the ignition system.

If it doesn't turn over at all then then check and see if the breaker on the rear of the motor is tripped and the harness plug is fully seated together, see if you have 12V at the solenoid make sure the ground cable is connected.

What yr and make of engine?
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:53am
It will not turn over at all, I didn't disconnect anything with the coil, but I did have the cap off. How do I check that breaker at the rear of the engine? I have a 78SN with a 351W ford Comander.
ABE
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:58am
push the read button on the rear of the motor. Get a multimeter and verify that you have voltage at the coil with the key on, but don't leave the key on very longyou'll burn up the points or electroincs which ever the case. Also check and make sure you have voltage at the solenoid located beside the curcuit break mounted to the rear center section of the engine.
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 9:05am
Thanks for the direction and fast responce, I will check it out tonight. The motor looks great now I have a blue carb, performer intake, and Ford racing black with alum fins for valve covers. I love the new look and can't wait to try it out. I don't remember seeing that red button.
ABE
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 9:34am
there maybe a cover over it
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 9:48am
Also check your neutral safety switch. Try wiggling your morse control in neutral while you turn your key.

The switch is on the starboard side of the transmission. It has two wires on it. If it is bad, you can connect both wires on one post to bypass it temporarily for testing.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 3:59pm
I jumped the nutral safety switch and she cranked over, so thats the problem. I disconnected the quick release for the shifter cable when I installed the manifold. Now its either out of adjustment or I need a new switch. I can't think its the switch.
ABE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic