Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions after Tower Install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions after Tower Install
    Posted: May-24-2006 at 8:43am
I installed a Monster Tower on my '79 SN last weekend. The install went smoothly and I am very impressed with the quality of the tower.

I took the boat out for a trial run last night and had mixed reviews. I love the fact that the rope is up above everyones heads and the back seat is actually usable. I also love the fact that the boards are up on racks and off the floor. I need every inch of space I can get in this old boat.

What I didn't like is with the rope now 7ft in the air when a boarder cuts the boat rolls quite a bit more. Not a big deal for the boat but it sucks for the boarder. As the boat rolls the wake changes significantly. Has anyone else encountered this? Anyone figured out a way to minimize the effects on the wake? Any advice would be appreciated.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 9:08am
AWhite,

I'm confused. My boat is quite a bit bigger and heavier than yours, and still it rocks quite a bit when the boarder pulls out to the side.
The thing is that the wake will actually get bigger and cleaner on the side to which the boarder pulls out. Thus, I'm not clear how it "sucks" for the boarder.
Typically the biggest problem I see is uneven weight distribution in the boat. If the boat is already leaning one way or another, it is just amplified whent the rider swings back and forth. I just move people of weight around till I have a "perfect wake" with rider directly behind the boat, and go from there. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 9:55am
It's going to roll a bit,.....one suggestion, you might want to make sure and use a static line specifically made for wakeboarding.It won't stretch and will help the rider maintain good rope tension. I typically ride at 70ft.

Life is Good.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 5:06pm
bkhallpass,
This was the first time I've had the boat out with the tower and the water conditions were less than ideal, but when I would cut out the wake would look nice and big and when I cut back in the wake washed out and got all choppy.

I'll see what happens next time. Hopefully the water conditions will be better.

I do use a static line at 65ft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 8:19pm
Awhite,

On a choppy day or windy day, I do have to clean up my wake. I either have to go a bit faster, add weight to the ballast, or do both.
On a calm day, I can go as slow as 18 mph on my boat with a clean wake. On a choppy day, I usually have to go at least 19.8. On my 98 Ski Nautique, I could, and had to, go slower to get a decent wake. At higher speeds I had to put a bunch of weight in the boat or it would start planing out and going into ski wake mode.

I personally ride at at 20.5 to 22 mph depending upon how confident I'm feeling. Wife likes the slower speeds. Then again, I'm old and not very good. Again, I think the key is to create a clean wake, both sides when the rider is directly behind the boat. Not much you can do after that. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 8:20pm
P.S. I thought you bought a 2002 SN???
BKH
Livin' the Dream

AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2006 at 9:22am
I did buy an '02 Ski 196. I now have both. The original plan was to sell the '79 but I'm too attached.

Additionally the '02 is almost worthless for for wakeboarding. So the '02 is now my ski boat and the '79 is my wakeboard boat.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 11:01am
First weekend with the newly installed Monster Tower. Couldnt ask for better results. Puts a whole new dimension on the boat for the kids. Looks real sharp and was rock solid. No complaints. Most likely will need to invest in some fat sacks. However, kids are small enough now that the '92SNOB wake will suffice for wakeboarding. They may outgrow the wake in a few years. Will update my pix the next time I'm at the lake.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 1:27pm
Had my 2nd outing with the Monster Tower last Friday and all was good. With some adjustments to rope length and ballast (moving people around) the wake was good.

Now I just need to develop some skills to go with the tower.

I should add that the Monster Tower is a nice piece of work. Easy to install, rock solid, etc. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tower.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 1:42pm
Pretty new to the wakeboard scene myself. One thing I do know after using the tower this weekend, buy a good wakeboard rope. I tried using an old braided nylon rope and my littliest one (8 yrs old) struggled with it flopping around in the wind. I just bought a strong lightweight rope this AM. As far as the tower, one slight sqweek in the leg, all's I have to do is tighten it up, and she'll be perfect. Good product.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic