Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 timing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stonethrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 timing?
    Posted: May-26-2006 at 12:09am
I have a 1979 20' southwind bowrider. It has an OMC 454 in it. I just finished replacing the floor and am now in the process of fine tuning my engine. I just replaced the points for an electronic ignition conversion kit. I set the timing to 8 BTC but I have no idea what it should be. Does anyone know or maybe know of a website containing all this useful info?
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 5:44pm
I have a 454 marine engine manual, need to know which ignition system you have to tell you the timing setting
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 7:18pm
your probaly alright where your at just take it for a spin with the engine cover up and listen for a ping under load if it does ping then back the timing off a little the manual says 5-9 depending on the dist unit. Also if the starter drags a little when it's hot then back the timing off a little as well, 2 degrees should do it. The more timing the beter to an extent that it doesn't ping (pre-ignition) helps with performance and fuel consumpsion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic