NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrysler M440 - water in oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Well it still runs. I ended up buying a new (reman) rod and had the piston swapped over to it and stuffed it back in the block. Then I measured it at TDC and it was checking about the exact same as before (about .010" lower than other cylinders on that bank). So it doesn't look like the other rod was bent at all and all, but what would explain the lower measurement? I wouldn't think the crank would've twisted?

Craig,
Good question on the low measurement. The only thing I can think of is the piston since you used the old one. Too late now but measuring the wrist pin to the top may have given you an answer. You measured the one bank. Did you measure the other side? If there was a crank problem, measuring the height of the piston that shares the same journal would show something.

Great you got it back together and running.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 10:32am
Could the difference be in the bearings?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 10:52am
Pete, I did not take the other head off so I didn't take measurements there. You're probably on to something with the piston. Should've measured it.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 2:31pm
Bringing this back from the dead. I ended up putting the 73 in the water last week for the first time since owning it. I ran it for about an hour including several shutoff and restarts and didn't have any issues with water. I've never been in or driven anything older/smaller than a 2001 series SN and holy cow this thing feels tiny. Especially after getting used to our 99 Sport. It's an absolutely blast to drive though and the 440 sounds incredible on the water.

The only engine issues I had were the idle circuit on the carb not working and hot restarts were an issue (acted flooded). So I'll be pulling the carb for a good soak & rebuild.

I also had a vibration in gear so either prop/shaft/alignment. I already checked the alignment and it was out big time, so hopefully that was it but I'll get the dial indicator out and check the shaft as well. As for the prop, if I rule the other 2 out and it comes down to fixing the current prop or buying a new, I won't hesitate to buy a new Acme.

The question is, what prop is suited for a 2nd gen with a big block? It has a 13x16 on it currently.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 3:15pm
Acme 1598 would get my vote as a starting point... that's the choice of the early Bfn's (with 454). I believe it ran very well on Terry's 454 Show (2gen) as well. The 1458 and 470 would be the next 2 worth trying if you need to cut back the revs a little... guessing you want to turn it 4400-4600 for best performance.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 10:58am
Thanks Tim. The 1458 was actually my first thought. I had the 1598 on our 85 SN with the BBC and it was a perfect fit (had a 13x15 stock). Didn't know if the smaller hull/less hook (with a 13x16 stock prop) could benefit from the higher cupped 1458..

When we sold the 85 I made the buyer a heck of a deal on the 1598 as I didn't figure I'd ever have a use for that prop on anything else. Guess I was wrong.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 12:14pm
I have seen the 1458 work well but all else equal, I prefer to add pitch over cup... the .135 of the 1458 is pushing it. I'd try the 1598 first and see where it lands you- if you overturn it enough, you may be able to step up to the 470. That prop in particular has a lot of rake and lifts the nose a bit, increasing speed potential.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic