NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Sanford and Son Boat Lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I meant completely submerge a container that was full of air. deeper you go the smaller the container would get and an increase in pressure.

Yes, the deeper you go, the more pressure is needed inside but, that doesn't increase the lift. Think of a sub submerged just below the surface and then 100 feet below the surface. It's buoyancy is the same at both depths.

Yes , However I was merely discussing increasing pressure and the ability of the plug to say in place.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 1:19pm

I meant completely submerge a container that was full of air. deeper you go the smaller the container would get and an increase in pressure.

Yes, the deeper you go, the more pressure is needed inside but, that doesn't increase the lift. Think of a sub submerged just below the surface and then 100 feet below the surface. It's buoyancy is the same at both depths.

Yes , However I was merely discussing increasing pressure and the ability of the plug to say in place.   

I think you're missing a factor with the lift floats. That is, you are not pressurizing the float but rather adding the pressure just to displace the water. So, the pressure in the float should be close to equal of the water pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
muddnsnow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddnsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2020 at 4:21pm
I'm extremely interested in your design.. unfortunately i do not see any pictures, they are not showing up.  Any help you could give will be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by Watauga Watauga wrote:

A couple of CCFs have made comments on my rebuild thread about my homemade boat lift, a few have sent me private messages. Here are a few pictures of my lift. I fabricated this lift in 1992, therefore it is now 23 years old and needs some updating.
I fabricated the lift out of structural channel and angle iron that I had left over from a project. I used what I had and therefore it is pretty stout. If I was building it today I would probably build it out of lighter materials and do more engineering than brawn. After fabrication I threw in on a trailer and took it to a galvanizer near Chattanooga to have it galvanized. The cradle was built to be exactly like my Correct Craft trailer cradle. The lift pivots on the front on homemade 2" pipe hinges that are also galvanized. It hinges in the front the rear drops to launch the SN. Chains on the rear prevent it from dropping lower than necessary to submerge the cradle to the depth necessary for loading and launching the SN. The cost to have it galvanized back then was around $100. I could have primed and painted it for around $50 back then. I think I made a good decision.

The plastic barrels were purchased for a few dollars each, sourced from a local chemical company. They had been through a barrel wash before they were released for sale. They are piped together with a common water hose and each barrel has a 2" hole in the bottom rear. The air pump was made out of the guts of an Electrolux canister vacuum cleaner. The motor/fan was mounted in coffee can, and the entire contraption was secured in a cheap plastic tool box mounted vertically on the dock. The controls consist of a couple of typical 90* throw gas valves and a light switch to turn on the blower. Just about any shopvac can be used for a blower, think high volume-low pressure. Air compressors are not a good idea, since they take too long to get the volume that is needed.

After 23 plus years the barrels have broken down from the UV rays and now will not hold pressure, so this winter I plan on sourcing new barrels. In the pictures you will see that I have placed an old I-beam under the boat cradle to support the lift over the winter in the case it loses its air and submerges.

I think purchasing a boat lift from a manufacturer is the way to go if you can afford it, but when I built this I was young, pretty poor, and had more energy and skill than money. Overall it has served me well. There is also a picture of the SN sitting on it at the beginning of my rebuild threat. Next time I am up at the lake I will get a few more pictures to add to this thread. Hopefully it will help someone who might be contemplating a similar project.

Joe
majestic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 7:01pm
Hello
Thank you for this post, where can I get the pictures please? I can’t see them on the posts.
Best regards
Majestic 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 8:02pm
Unless Watauga posts them again, they're gone with the wind, due to a slight site problem in July 2020 that made lots of stuff disappear. Wink
Colinnap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colinnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 9:10am
Hi there! I’m sorry if this is a burden but I am very interested in recreating your lift! I cannot see any of your pictures for some reason. Forgive me if I’m doing something wrong..
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 11:48am
I was able to do some searching for you in the background.... and tracked this photo down. It's the only one I could find of this setup. I hope it helps!!!

1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by beretta5spd beretta5spd wrote:

Dwight,
Were did you find that picture? Looks like the lift was in the Chicago river on St. Patrick's day! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by beretta5spd beretta5spd wrote:

Dwight,
Were did you find that picture? Looks like the lift was in the Chicago river on St. Patrick's day! Big smile

I did a google image search for "home made boat lift" and after doing a bunch of scrolling it came up on pinterest of all things referencing the original post in this thread....  I knew I had seen it somewhere!
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 9:30pm
Friends, Sorry I haven't been able to reply to this thread. I am a disaster responder and have been pretty busy with the tornado response in Alabama and the ice freeze in Texas and Oklahoma. This weekend I will take a look in in picture files and see if I can find the originals. 
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
majestic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2021 at 8:24am
Hello
Any luck for us? Did you find the originals?
Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic