Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller direction

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MarkKrahn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkKrahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller direction
    Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:44am
Though nothing was wrong with my impeller pump, I thought this afternoon it would be nice to take it all apart just to see what its all about (I'm a newer owner of a 2001 Nautique). I'm going to end up doing a light rebuild on it, but am second guessing myself as to whether or not I flipped it the wrong way when I initially pulled it out ( and I don't want to find out the first day of boating this year its backwards!)
Can I get some experienced input on this very basic question? The picture is how I believe it should go. Its a ProBoss GT40 engine with the impeller on the driver side.
Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 6:18am
Mark,,
Instead of trying to explain in words how a flex impeller pump works, here's a great video by Depco pump .providing a visual
Also, out of the FAQ thread in the forum maintenance section is Larry's video on using the bucket method to test the RWP (raw water pump) Larry is the sites expert at putting video's together.
Here's another thread about using the bucket test. I picked it since in it, Kevin posted a great picture on the RWP orientation Note the position of the RWP cam and it's retaining screw. Some have inadvertently installed their RWP's backwards.

Welcome to CCfan. I mentioned the FAQ thread. It's a fantastic resource put together by many of the very knowledgeable members.   Here's a direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 10:38am
How you put it in doesn't matter. It will flip to how it should be if you have it backwards.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 10:43am
If it's a RR engine and the pump it mounted on the starboard side, the teats go on the outside. For LH rotaition, they go on the inside. The way you show it is for LH rotation.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 10:46am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 10:48am
Mark,
Larry is absolutely correct that if the impeller is installed backwards, the blades will flip.

Even though you have marked the top of the pump, do double check the actual orientation. As mentioned, there have been some that have installed it backwards. It's easy to do.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 12:53pm
If you notice any damage or small cracks on impeller ...or if it feels brittle or the fins are permanently bent....install a new one.
This is the life
MarkKrahn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkKrahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:19pm
Thank you for the info! Yes I will be installing a new impeller. There seems to be a lot of fine cracks, etc, so I only bought the basic kit, Should I have bought the full rebuild kit, even though the bearings seem to be fine? . I've heard 2 stories from other Nautique owners of theirs packing it in on the lake, and thought I'd be proactive about it. The links and diagram are great!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 1:39pm
Mark,
I'd suggest just replacing the impeller for now. A bearing going bad can blow the seal and then the RWP may start sucking air which will cause higher engine temps. I highly suspect the failures you have heard about are impeller failures. The major cause of failure is running without water since the impeller is water lubricated. Tell the other Nautique owners to never run the boat dry even at the ramp before putting the boat in to "let's make sure it will start".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MarkKrahn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkKrahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 8:20pm
The new impeller has been replaced and remounted-pretty easy and ready for hopefully a trouble free year of boating! I think next year I'll rebuild the entire unit, and maybe incorporated some impeller maintenance into a yearly schedule. I'm wondering if anyone has ever compiled a list of regular winter items they address? As a newbie, I just did the impeller and the oil, and run a trickle charge on the battery,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by MarkKrahn MarkKrahn wrote:

The new impeller has been replaced and remounted-pretty easy and ready for hopefully a trouble free year of boating! I think next year I'll rebuild the entire unit, and maybe incorporated some impeller maintenance into a yearly schedule. I'm wondering if anyone has ever compiled a list of regular winter items they address? As a newbie, I just did the impeller and the oil, and run a trickle charge on the battery,

Mark,
I feel you have the winter layup pretty much under control except I hope you just forgot to mention draining the engine. One thing of concern is you do NOT what to have a trickle charger on the battery more than a couple days. They will cook a battery if left on for long times. What you want is a maintenance charger. They are designed for extended maintenance of a battery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2016 at 11:13pm
Can somebody post a video of a bad seal sucking air?   I've only seen bad seals let water come out.
Tim D
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:57am
Hi Mark, and welcome! If you see plenty of water flow when running on the hose, and have no problems with engine temps next summer, then no need to rebuilt a RWP just for the sake of rebuilding it. They run for a VERY long time trouble free. I don't go more than 2 seasons without replacing the impeller, they are cheap enough that I prefer to not try to get extra life out of them.

I'm assuming you have a 2001 model year Ski Nautique?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MarkKrahn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkKrahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 4:44am
yes, its an '01. It has been maintained very well in its 15 years, and I just want to keep it that way. Can anyone recommend a decent maintenance charger that they use throughout the winter?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 5:49am
Mark,
Though all the years, I've never found a need to use a maintenance charger on any of my boats. A good starting battery with a good charge will make it over the winter without a problem. I disconnect my batteries and leave them in the boats for the layup. Come spring they will crank the engine without a problem. This fall I did have to pull my 6 volt to use on a neighbors boat and did find it was bad. I actually can't remember how old it is but taking a guess and knowing it's a Napa, it's at least 15 years old. 6 volt batteries seem to last longer than 12 volts. The only real way to check the condition of a battery is to do a load test. Your auto supply will do the test if you want to check it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Can somebody post a video of a bad seal sucking air?   I've only seen bad seals let water come out.

Tim,
You can't see sucking air but if there's a cooling problem, it's a possible cause. If there is a bad seal, sometimes, but not always there will be water leaking at the seal when the engine isn't running. I say sometimes since it's easier for air to get past a seal than water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by MarkKrahn MarkKrahn wrote:

yes, its an '01. It has been maintained very well in its 15 years, and I just want to keep it that way. Can anyone recommend a decent maintenance charger that they use throughout the winter?

I use "BATTERY TENDER" on all mine
Works great for me
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I use "BATTERY TENDER" on all mine
Works great for me

Why? Do you leave the battery connected? If so, it's time for a parasitic load test.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 11:39am
Computers,clocks,radios all drain a small amount. Motor home draws the most. And no, I don,'t have higher than normal parasitic draw
In my airplane I would just as soon have a battery that I knew was full charged
Just my way of playing safe.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:27pm
Times are changing Pete. If I don't drive the Chevy for a month the battery can be dead. If you open the door you can hear all kind whirling going on,sounds like the navigation system starting to me. The Mrs car owners manual tells you the car will run the wiper blades if it sits too long so they won't take a set. I leave a tender on it while we are gone. Granted these are not boats,but I wonder how long you can can leave a battery connected up to the new linc equipped boats and not charge them? If you disconnect them for say a couple of months do you keep all your settings?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If I don't drive the Chevy for a month the battery can be dead. If you open the door you can hear all kind whirling going on,sounds like the navigation system starting to me.

Mine does the exact same thing and I agree, sounds like the NAV disc or something. No problem with the battery dying now that Maddie is driving though, lol
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:03pm
We are to old now Chris, would be better and cheaper just to buy a new battery every month
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:07pm
I take the batteries out if in cold storage, leave in but disconnected if warm storage. Once or twice during the winter I'll put a charger on them at 2 amp setting for a couple of hours, then again before I take the boat out for first use. I don't see the need for a maintenance charger, but like Gary says if I owned a much newer boat with electronics I wanted to keep powered that would be the way to go.

Pete, I know you swear by leaving the battery in the boat and not charging, but to me leaving a lead/acid battery in northern cold temps, un-used and not charged, for 6-8 months when with no effort I can put it in a heated space, makes no sense.

Occurred to me to mention, might as well change out the 2 belts while you are at it..
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

If I don't drive the Chevy for a month the battery can be dead. If you open the door you can hear all kind whirling going on,sounds like the navigation system starting to me.

Mine does the exact same thing and I agree, sounds like the NAV disc or something. No problem with the battery dying now that Maddie is driving though, lol

Ditto in my Tahoe, the nav disc starts spinning as soon as the door is opened. I'm surprised these cars/trucks don't need a dedicated battery just to run all the crap with all the relays, delays, interlocks, and flux capacitors that run off them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Pete, I know you swear by leaving the battery in the boat and not charging, but to me leaving a lead/acid battery in northern cold temps, un-used and not charged, for 6-8 months when with no effort I can put it in a heated space, makes no sense.

David,
I know some that will even take the battery out of their car overnight when the temp is expected to really drop!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:52pm

Times are changing Pete. If I don't drive the Chevy for a month the battery can be dead. If you open the door you can hear all kind whirling going on,sounds like the navigation system starting to me. The Mrs car owners manual tells you the car will run the wiper blades if it sits too long so they won't take a set. I leave a tender on it while we are gone. Granted these are not boats,but I wonder how long you can can leave a battery connected up to the new linc equipped boats and not charge them? If you disconnect them for say a couple of months do you keep all your settings?

Gary,
Thanks for the update on the new cars. I guess I'll need to get a maintainer for the lesbianmobile!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 3:40pm
You might,I guess it depends if you have the heated lip gloss holder
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 8:49am
I'd like to add that I do have two maintainers on two batteries. One is on my 1969 Bolens with the 14 HP Wisconsin. It has the combination starter generator that were never the best at charging batteries. Even with 5W-30 oil, and a fresh battery, it doesn't like to crank when the temp drops way below zero so it gets hooked up. The other maintainer is on my Kohler whole house gen set. It doesn't have a on board charger/maintainer so I added one.

Now the next one will be needed for the heated lip gloss holder!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 4:15pm
Back to the pump, Pete the seal is to keep water in the pump and away from the bearing. The "lift" is created at the cam. If there was a leak in the seal, I believe the volume of water being pulled by the impeller flowing past the shaft seal is going to push any air out and keep it out. By a video, if anyone made one, I hope they would use smoke or something to show air being "sucked" in.

and another can of worms, nobody uses a de-sulfater/charger?
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic