NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black box

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
beachdude24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdude24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black box
    Posted: February-24-2016 at 7:34pm
Hi guys I hope some one could help me out

The buzzer in my 86sn keeps buzzing I've replaced the buzzer with a new one couple of weeks ago. But I also noticed that the volts and oil warning lights stays on ,but the volt and oil reading is good on the gauges. I think that this black box is responsible for the buzzing and the red lights to stay on. Does anyone know how to take this box apart and could it be fixed?
please help

Living the Salt Life...Life is better in Aruba
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 9:06pm
Gerald - The alarm circuit design was poor, & prone to failure. The part is no longer made.   It is amazing that yours has made it this long before failing.

I recommend just disconnecting the module & watch your gauges instead.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdude24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Gerald - The alarm circuit design was poor, & prone to failure. The part is no longer made.   It is amazing that yours has made it this long before failing.

I recommend just disconnecting the module & watch your gauges instead.

Thank you for the information Chris
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 10:35pm
Gerald,
I'd like to back up what Chris said. I think they were built by someone in high school shop class! Chris is the one who really knows about the alarms. so much that he and his son went and tried to build a better one after looking at the factory alarm. There's a complete thread on the build. Chris, I forgot but what ever happened to that project?

Gerald,
Didn't you have a brother? I haven't seen him on site for some time. What's he up to?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdude24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 10:38pm
Hi Pete yes he is doing fine...now he is into cars and the sport of drifting and racing. hahahaha
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 11:28am
I am installing my new dash panel this winter and cleaning up the factory wiring job. My alarm was inop and the lights stayed on all the time so I just cut out all of the wiring for that device. I am a gauge watcher so there is no need for an alarm plus when it is super sunny those lights won't catch your eye anyhow.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 3:36pm
Those Black Boxes Stink
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 7:31pm
The replicated alarm circuit my son built didn't work any better than the original.

The reason these don't work (they give false alarms) is that the brain of it is just an operational amplifier, which monitors the voltages of the oil & water temp sensors. Well, the voltage of the engine is not steady.
The circuit had a very poor voltage regulator design ( just a zener diode) so it was not stable at all & would falsely react to momentary dips in voltage.

I still have it if anyone would like it . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The replicated alarm circuit my son built didn't work any better than the original. .

Chris,
You're being too modest! You taught you son the basics and he just ran on it from there!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2016 at 12:36am
TAKE IT OUT AND SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic