Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

D.O.A. 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D.O.A. 351
    Posted: June-09-2006 at 7:43pm
I just bought a 1983 Ski Nautique 2001 whose 351 engine is DOA. I have to decide whether to repower, rebuild or cut my losses. If it's repowered, it has to fit like the original. Any comments or ideas?
'97 196
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2006 at 9:22am
DOA is a harsh term. Can you give more details? There are all kinds of different solutions to get you going as well as sell it to me if your in Texas Where you at and what kind of water have you been running in?

If you have a head problem thats not bad to fix if it runs bad thats not bad to get going, if a compression check is good then you have a good starting point. If you need another block because of a piston or crack there are alternatives as well. You can take your heads and throw them with your cam and starter and altenator onto another block. Just have to get a starting point. Good luck!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2006 at 10:35am
Whats happening? or better...whats not happening???

DOA...can you just not get it running or is it seized???

Like Pswann mentions...there are many solutions...but first, what determines DOA with this engine?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2006 at 12:36pm
I don't think you can really kill a correct craft?A little patience and effort will always bring them back.Figure out your problems and these guys will send ya down the right road to recovery

Good luck Munday
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 7:25am
I found 1/2 gallon of water in the oil pan. The dealer changed oil, ran engine for 1/2 hour and found water again. He pulled the heads and found the ring pin in one of the pistons let go, deeply gouging the cylinder wall. Since I posted, this, a surveyor found stringer rot and moisture, so that rebuilding the engine is not advisable without addressing the structural issues. A dealer said you should have bought from me, the mechanic and the surveyor said you should have let me check it out. More constructive comments will be better appreciated.
'97 196
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 7:58am
What did you pay and can you post some pics. Stringer repair is typical and you can get all the advice you need here on doing it yourself.

You bought the boat knowing the engine was dead right so I hope you got a deal on it and realize that you need to drop a few grand on it. Those boats if real nice and especially with a new power plant can be worth around $8000+ so do the math and hopefully it makes sense to get it put back together. If not post it for sale here and your troubles will be over.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 8:20am
I vote sell it to someone looking for a project. Projects are fun but not on boats you were expecting to be skiing behind soon. Pass it on to one of us, get a skiboat that works and pick up your own project when the time is right.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:26pm
I am trying to decide whether to sell the parts and plow under what's left, or sell as a project boat. Here's some pictures:

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/eece/?action=view¤t=Boatpic2.jpg&slideshow=true&interval=3
'97 196
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:38pm
Here's some other links to the pictures if my first attempt failed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/eece/Boatpic1.jpg">

'97 196
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:48pm
Boat looks way to nice to plow under. I gotta agree with Joe, list it and see what happens.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 10:07pm
what do you want for the boat this boat is worth repowering In my opinion
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 9:07am
Its a very pretty boat, if its for sale in my budget I would jump on in it even with the engine stringer and floor problems. Give me an email jhf6659@yahoo.com
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 3:37pm
Tony: I can hear the wheels turning in your head all the way over here.

When are ya at the station? I have a field trip tomorrow (Thursday) in the AM, nothing in the afternoon. Riding the bike to Olde Towne in the evening. Or how about Friday?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 7:46am
Nice looking boat . Dont plow it under . Sell it to someone who can save it

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
72South View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72South Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 4:14am
In looking at the many post here... Someone said "correct crafts are the Harley Davidson's of the boating world" I couldn't agree more. Even if you only have the frame, you (or someone else) willl reclaim the harley. You NEVER through it away :)

With nothing but the hull, you are better off than most (although... it can be a trip through the pain cave :)

If it is not a project for you, someone here will want it.

We all suffer from the "lost puppy syndrome"

johnny

PS I wonder if I can slip it behind the other project?
Regards,

johnny
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 5:14pm
I recovered my boat from the dealer who gave me the bad news about the engine, and I have been examining it all afternoon. There is clearly a rotted spot near the engine, but most of the stringers look good to the naked eye with some minor cracking. The surveyor told me that his moisture measuring device said that there was moisture in the stringers, but I don't see any signficant signs of rotting or distortion. Is the moisture a sure sign of things to come? There is no softness in the floor. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether to sell it as a project boat or fix the engine. I have someone who can rebuild the engine for the price of the parts. I'm wondering if fixing the engine and trying to run it for a few years is possible or realistic.

I probably could work on the stringers, but not for a few years. This might someday be someones elses project boat, but with kids heading to college in a few years, this might be my only shot at one of these boats.
'97 196
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 6:32pm
Jhatem,
Your last post just answered it for me. "Kids going off to college" Get that motor rebuilt and drop it in and use it for a few years with those kids before they're gone. While the motors being rebuilt do a temporary repair to the stringers where the motor bolts in if it needs it. Otherwise just run it for a few years and when the kids are gone then you've got a project to keep yourself busy.
jhatem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 9:12pm
Does anyone know whether my engine is a reverse rotation and the name of a reputable company that could sell me a rebuilt 351? As you can see, I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Jim
'97 196
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 11:42pm
I agree with Alan...rebuild the engine and fix the soft string...if it's not too far gone you can let it soak up some wood hardener or thinned epoxie resin...as much as it will take.

Enjoy it for a couple years and redo the stingers and floor later...boat is sharp looking...nice interior and hull looks good too! Too nice of a boat not to keep it!

More than likely , it is a reverse rotation engine...that would mean it should have a RH
prop.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 4:01pm
Jim,
   I tried to send you an email a couple days back and it bounced back, send me an email with an updated address if you get a chance.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic